Hundreds of dead pelicans found in PeruApril 30th, 2012 - 12:01 pm ICT by IANS
Lima, April 30 (IANS/EFE) Fishermen and environmentalists are calling on officials to investigate the deaths of more than 200 pelicans on the beaches of northern Peru, media reports said.
The dead seabirds were found along a 200-km stretch of beaches in the Piura and Lambayeque regions over the past few days, the elcomercio.pe Web site reported.
“More than 200 dead pelicans were found in the entire area. The cause of this new environmental disaster is not known,” the newspaper said, alluding to the deaths of some 800 dolphins in the same area since the beginning of the year.
The majority of the dead pelicans were found from San Jose Bay to the Illescas preserve, located on the border of Piura and Lambayeque.
Dozens of other dying birds have been spotted on the beaches, Puerto Eten Fishermen’s Association president Francisco Ńiquen said.
The Peruvian Sea Institute, or Imarpe, and international scientists should investigate what is happening on the north coast, Ńiquen said.
Hundreds of dolphins have been found stranded since January for unknown reasons, environmentalist Heinz Plengue said.
A number of possible causes, ranging from a virus to mining exploration in the Pacific Ocean, may be responsible for the deaths of the animals, experts said.
- 20 dolphins die of poisoning - May 02, 2010
- 10th-century tomb found in Peru - Oct 26, 2011
- 1,200-year-old royal tomb found in Peru - Jan 20, 2011
- Archaeologists trace witch craft culture in Peru - Jan 24, 2010
- 15 die in Peru bus accident - Sep 14, 2012
- 4,000 year-old temples found in Peru - Sep 19, 2010
- Over 30 turtles found dead in Guatemala - Jul 22, 2010
- Bodies of two US mountaineers found in Peru - Jul 30, 2012
- Gangetic river dolphins on road to recovery? - Nov 11, 2011
- No dead dolphins found in Black Sea: Russia - May 18, 2011
- Man wanted in US for slashing women's bottoms - Sep 18, 2011
- Over 200,000 fish die in Argentine lake - Feb 17, 2010
- Myanmar dolphins work with fishermen - May 28, 2012
- Oil poisoning? Alarming sea animal deaths on India's west coast (With Images) - Apr 07, 2012
- Cold weather, flu kill 72 in Mexico - Jan 29, 2012
Tags: association president, dead seabirds, efe, elcomercio pe, environmentalist, environmentalists, fishermen, illescas, imarpe, international scientists, lambayeque, north coast, northern peru, pacific ocean, pe web, pelicans, peru lima, piura, puerto eten, sea institute