Hundreds missing as migrants’ boat sinks off IndonesiaDecember 18th, 2011 - 7:18 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 18 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Some 300 people went missing after an overcrowded boat carrying illegal migrants, most of them from the Middle East, sank off Indonesia’s Java Island Saturday, the ABC broadcaster said quoting a senior emergency official.
The wooden boat carrying some 380 people sank about 90 km (50 nautical miles) out in sea after being wrecked by strong waves, the official Sahrul Arifin said. Only 76 people were rescued.
The passengers were believed to be illegal migrants from Afghanistan, Turkey, Iran, and Saudi Arabia, media reports said.
Sky News quoted the official Indonesian Antara news agency as saying the boat had a capacity of 100 passengers
According to Indonesian media reports quoted by ABC, the boat was apparently heading for Australia.
- 88 bodies retrieved after Indonesia boat disaster - Dec 22, 2011
- Hundreds of Libyan refugees feared dead after ship sinks off Libya - May 10, 2011
- Eight more bodies found after Italy ship disaster (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Russia bans ships similar to sunken Bulgaria riverboat - Jul 17, 2011
- Nearly 200 drown as boat catches fire off Sudan - Jul 06, 2011
- Indonesia rescues 120 asylum seekers who refuse to disembark - Apr 10, 2012
- Nine killed in Moscow river boat accident - Jul 31, 2011
- Eight killed as car hits pedestrians in Jakarta - Jan 22, 2012
- 37 Pakistanis among dead in Indonesia boat accident - Dec 28, 2011
- Seven migrants dead in boat capsize off Indonesia - Nov 01, 2011
- 88 missing as ship sinks in Russia - Jul 10, 2011
- Dominican Republic shipwreck toll rises to 16 - Feb 06, 2012
- 11 killed in Peru road accident - Sep 02, 2012
- Toll in Russia ship capsize rises to 54 (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Bus carrying Russians attacked in Syria - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: abc, afghanistan, antara, antara news agency, broadcaster, illegal migrants, indonesia, indonesian media, iran, java island, middle east, moscow, nautical miles, ria novosti, saudi arabia, sinks, sky news, turkey, waves, wooden boat