Hundreds killed in Sudan nomadic clashesMay 29th, 2009 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
Nairobi/Khartoum, May 29 (DPA) A week of clashes between nomadic tribes in central Sudan has killed almost 250 people, among them police officers, Sudan’s interior minister has said.
Ibrahim Mahmoud Hamad said that 75 police personnel were amongst those killed in battles between the Arab Misseriya and Rizeiqat tribes in South Kordofan, the state-owned Suna news agency reported.
The two tribes have a long history of fighting over grazing and water, but this particular battle has exceeded all previous conflicts.
The battle began last weekend in small town in South Kordofan, which lies between Southern Sudan and Darfur.
When police tried to intervene Tuesday and form a buffer zone between the warring tribes, they came under attack by thousands of horsemen from the Rizeigat tribe.
Hamad said that steps were being taken to disarm the groups and that those responsible for the carnage would be brought to justice.
The United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMIS) earlier this month deployed around 120 peacekeepers to the southern Sudanese state of Jonglei after clashes between different tribes.
At least 750 people died in March during fighting between the Nuer and Murle ethnic groups that was sparked by cattle rustling raids.
- 48 killed in Sudan violence - Jun 20, 2010
- 100 killed in Sudan violence - Sep 22, 2009
- Sudan rebels claim to have killed 130 soldiers - Feb 28, 2012
- UN chief deeply concerned over situation in Sudan - Jun 16, 2011
- UN concerned after 100 killed in Sudanese ethnic clash (Lead) - Sep 22, 2009
- 29 Chinese held hostage after camp attacked in Sudan - Jan 29, 2012
- 31 killed in Sudanese plane crash - Aug 19, 2012
- Sudan rebels claim killing 79 soldiers - Apr 21, 2012
- Over 50 rebels killed in Blue Nile state: Sudanese army - Apr 22, 2012
- UN chief to visit Sudan - Jul 07, 2011
- UN: South Sudan rebels kill nine civilians during weekend attacks - Nov 02, 2011
- South Sudan to get anti-aircraft missiles - May 17, 2012
- Sudan calls on US to stop 'carrot and stick policy' - Jun 16, 2011
- 41 killed in tribal clashes in Sudan - Jun 07, 2010
- Chinese engineer killed in Sudan - Oct 03, 2011
Tags: buffer zone, carnage, central sudan, clashes, darfur, different tribes, hamad, interior minister, khartoum, kordofan, mahmoud, nairobi, nomadic tribes, peacekeepers, police officers, southern sudan, southern sudanese, two tribes, united nations mission in sudan, unmis