Hundreds evacuated after tropical storm hits MexicoSeptember 16th, 2010 - 12:08 pm ICT by IANS
Cancun (Mexico), Sep 16 (IANS/EFE) Hundreds of people have been evacuated from Mexico’s Quintana Roo state after tropical storm Karla hit the region with wind speeds of up to 95 kmph.
The storm made landfall Wednesday morning.
Power and telephone lines were cut as heavy rains and gusts of wind lashed the region, Quintana Roo state authorities said.
Scheduled activities to celebrate the country’s independence bicentennial in the municipalities of Tulum, Felipe Carrillo Puerto, Jose Maria Morelos and Othon P. Blanco could be affected, officials said.
A red alert has been declared in these four municipalities in southern Quintana Roo.
Southern coastal areas of Quintana Roo were evacuated and fishermen in Banco Chinchorro zone were advised to dock their boats and go ashore.
- Luxury hotel for gay tourists to open in Mexico - Dec 29, 2010
- Mexican daily denounces attempt to block circulation - Apr 09, 2011
- Eight killed in fire-bombing in Mexico - Sep 01, 2010
- Mexico extradites former governor to US - May 10, 2010
- Tropical Storm Karl makes landfall on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula - Sep 15, 2010
- Mexico issues 1 kg commemorative gold coin - Sep 18, 2012
- Mexican singer appears in court to answer rape charges - Jan 24, 2011
- Face of ancient human skeleton reconstructed - Jul 25, 2010
- Six mutilated bodies found in Mexico - Jun 08, 2010
- Mexican cop kills three fellow officers, then self - Dec 15, 2010
- Millionaire sentenced to 13 years in child-porn case - Apr 01, 2011
- Harsh sentence demanded for mogul in kids' pornogrpahy case - Apr 10, 2011
- Over 100 Mexican immigration agency employees sacked - Oct 16, 2011
- Mexican nature park sets Guinness record - Jun 03, 2011
- Tropical storm Agatha kills 12 in Guatemala - May 31, 2010
Tags: banco chinchorro, cancun mexico, efe, felipe carrillo puerto, fishermen, gusts of wind, heavy rains, independence bicentennial, jose maria morelos, landfall, mexico cancun, municipalities, othon, quintana roo state, red alert, snb, southern coastal areas, state authorities, telephone lines, wind speeds