Hundreds demonstrate against French retail giant in ChinaMay 1st, 2008 - 4:38 pm ICT by admin
Beijing, May 1 (Xinhua) Hundreds of Chinese Thursday demonstrated in front of French supermarket Carrefour here raising slogans against the retail giant and demands for Tibet’s independence. The protesters also raised slogans in suppor of the upcoming Beijing Olympics.
Carrefour and France became target of protests by Chinese nationalists after the April 7 Paris run of the Olympic torch was repeatedly interrupted by rights activists protesting what they called was suppression of Tibetan demonstrators by Chinese authorities.
The protesters chanted slogans like “Boycott Carrefour” and “Oppose CNN” in front of the supermarket in Zhongguancun, an industrial zone of Beijing, with hundreds watching them.
The police detained two protesters.
Demonstrations also took place in Changsa, capital of the central province of Hunan. They held banners saying “Support Olympics”, “Oppose Tibet Independence” “Love China” and “Unity is Power”.
Officials and about 40 policemen were at the scene to maintain law and order.
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- Protests against 'Tibet independence' in China - Apr 20, 2008
- Chinese protest against western support for 'Tibet independence - Apr 21, 2008
- Tibetans protest as Wen arrives - Dec 15, 2010
- Tibetans protest as Wen begins India visit (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- Tibetans protest near Chinese embassy, detained - Mar 09, 2011
- Wen Jiabao visit: Delhi Police take five Tibetan protesters into custody - Dec 16, 2010
- Tibetans hold anti-China protests in Nepal despite crackdown - Mar 10, 2010
- Dozens arrested in Yemen anti-government protests - Jan 27, 2011
- Tibetans stage march on 51st anniversary of Tibetan uprising - Mar 10, 2010
- Chinese pianist Lang carries Olympic torch in London - Jul 23, 2012
- Tibetan freedom torch back in Dharamsala ahead of the Beijing Olympics - Aug 03, 2008
- Protesters storm Syrian consulate in Istanbul - Feb 06, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Anti-nuclear activists stage protest in Seoul - Mar 23, 2012
Tags: beijing olympics, carrefour, central province, chinese authorities, chinese nationalists, cnn, french supermarket, hunan, industrial zone, law and order, olympic torch, paris run, policemen, protesters, retail giant, slogans, suppor, target, tibetan demonstrators, xinhua