Human error blamed for 2008 plane crash in MadridJuly 30th, 2011 - 11:47 am ICT by IANS
Madrid, July 30 (IANS/EFE) The crew was at fault in the August 2008 crash of a Spanair MD-82 airliner in the vicinity of Madrid’s Barajas International Airport that left 154 people dead, a Spanish government panel said in a report issued Friday.
The crew lost control of the aircraft right after takeoff from Barajas “because of not configuring the plane correctly” or setting the flaps as they should have, the commission found.
The report says that the airliner’s crew did not detect the configuration error nor “noted the loss-of-functionality warnings nor corrected that situation after takeoff”.
It also says that among the accident’s contributing factors was the absence of a warning about the incorrect configuration because the Take-Off Warning System, or TOWS, was not working.
The commission believes that the crew did not operate the flaps with the right controls, nor made a crosscheck of the position of the control stick or of the lights indicating the state of those two elements.
The crashed plane had come from Barcelona and after its stopover in Madrid was headed for Las Palmas in the Canary Islands.
The Aug 20, 2008, crash was Spain’s worst air disaster in 25 years.
- Spanish airline to cease operations - Jan 28, 2012
- 166 flights cancelled in Madrid due to snow - Jan 12, 2010
- Spanish airline files for bankruptcy - Jan 31, 2012
- World's major air accidents in 2008 - Feb 13, 2009
- Brazil plane crash leaves 16 dead - Jul 14, 2011
- Pilots blamed for Russian plane crash that killed 44 - Nov 02, 2011
- Aeromexico makes first biofuel trans-Atlantic flight - Aug 03, 2011
- Two die as plane crashes into lagoon - Mar 16, 2012
- Over 140 killed in Madrid plane crash - Aug 21, 2008
- Spain cancels plan to privatise airports - Jan 24, 2012
- Passenger plane crashes in Russia's Far East, killing 10 - Sep 13, 2012
- New tool can ensure better safety on planes - Sep 13, 2011
- Poland partly blames Russia for presidential plane crash - Jul 29, 2011
- 31 die, 12 survive in Russian plane crash (Second Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Spain busts gang that hid drugs in babies' diapers - Nov 29, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,