Huge cache of rebels’ explosives seized in ColombiaJanuary 4th, 2009 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
Bogota, Jan 4 (IANS) The Colombian Army has seized a huge cache of explosives belonging to the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) in southwestern part of the country, EFE reported.Soldiers have found 432 grenades of different types in a FARC hideout in Paez Belalcazar City in Cauca province, the army said in a statement Sunday.
“These (grenades) were dangerous war material and could have been used against the civilian population and troops in the area,” it said.
Founded in 1964, the FARC is Colombia’s largest leftist guerrilla group with an estimated 17,000 fighters that operates across a vast swath of this Andean nation.
President Alvaro Uribe’s administration has made fighting the FARC a top priority and has obtained billions of dollars in US aid for counterinsurgency operations.
Last year on July 2, the Colombian army had rescued former presidential candidate and French-Colombian citizen Ingrid Betancourt along with three US military contractors and 11 security officials from FARC’s captivity.
The US and the European Union have put FARC on its lists of foreign terrorist organisations.
- Eight miners killed in Colombia - Apr 09, 2010
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
- Guerrillas use dead body in attack in Colombia - Dec 08, 2011
- FARC guerrilla wanted by US captured in Colombia - Nov 02, 2009
- Colombian guerrilla who guarded Betancourt surrenders - Sep 15, 2009
- 39 killed in Colombia clashes - Nov 11, 2009
- Top Colombian rebel commander killed - Nov 05, 2011
- 12 rebels die in Colombian air strike - Jul 07, 2010
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
- 10 police officers killed in Colombia - Sep 11, 2010
- Kidnapped Colombian politician found dead - Dec 23, 2009
- No grudges at talks with Colombian government: FARC - Sep 04, 2012
- Colombian rebels set condition for freeing French reporter - May 08, 2012
- Colombia seizes 2.6 tonnes of cocaine - Jun 06, 2012
- Colombian rebels free last foreign hostage - Mar 19, 2009
Tags: andean nation, colombian army, counterinsurgency operations, dangerous war, guerrilla group, president alvaro uribe, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc, terrorist organisations, war material