Hudson crash landing hero Sullenberger retiresMarch 4th, 2010 - 4:14 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Mar 4 (ANI): American Airlines pilot captain Chesley ‘Sully’ Sullenberger, who made headlines after safely gliding a jet onto the Hudson River last year, has retired.
Sullenberger, who saved the lives of 155 people through the emergency landing, flew his last US Airways flight to his home base, Charlotte.
After his final touchdown, he was greeted on the tarmac by fire trucks forming a watery ceremonial arch with their hoses.
Onboard were his wife and six passengers from Flight 1549.
“It was sort of coming full circle, wasn’t it? Many of us are still trying to process this event. Having the opportunity to share in a very special day helps,” The New York Daily News quoted Sullenberger, as having told reporters at the airport.
“In 30 years of flying I don’t think I’ve received better, more efficient and friendly service from the air traffic controllers than I did today,” he added.
Displaying modesty that gave him staying power as a national hero, Sullenberger did not make a fuss about piloting his last flight, and at his side was co-pilot, Jeff Skiles, who had helped him land Flight 1549 on the Hudson a year ago.
Sullenberger vowed to stay busy as a “voice of reason” - pressing corporations and lawmakers to improve air safety.
“We can’t forget that we are in the business of saving lives, not saving money. Pilots are being put in the cockpit without enough experience, and required to fly too much without adequate rest,” Sullenberger said.
Meanwhile, James Ray, US Airline Pilots Association spokesman, said: “He didn’t want any big fanfare. He just wanted to pull his plane up, park it and then go down to the crew room for some cake and punch and retire like any other pilot.” (ANI)
- Captain "Sully", Hudson River emergency landing pilot retires - Mar 04, 2010
- Hudson hero Sully set to return to friendly skies - Sep 11, 2009
- Passengers praise pilot for landing Delta flight in New York safely - Sep 27, 2010
- Hudson hero Sully to be part of US Airways' safety management team - Sep 29, 2009
- Captain Sully Lands Movie Deal "Miracle on the Hudson" - Oct 04, 2010
- Hero pilot "Sully" Sullenberger to fly again for U.S. Airways - Sep 29, 2009
- Captain Sully Movie Will Revive "Miracle on the Hudson" - Oct 04, 2010
- Sully Speaks on 'Miracle on the Hudson's' Second Anniversary - Jan 15, 2011
- US Airways pilot hero breaks his silence about emergency landing - Feb 03, 2009
- Captain Sully Movie deal Finalized - Oct 04, 2010
- Captain Sully talks about the miracle of the Hudson on its second anniversary - Jan 15, 2011
- Jet pilots abort landing after phone distraction - Apr 19, 2012
- US Airways pilot Chesley Sullenberger III hailed as hero on Facebook - Jan 17, 2009
- Hudson hero Sully to share his 'pricey' Flight 1549 story - Mar 27, 2009
- Hudson hero Sully regrets having not warned passengers about river landing - Jun 10, 2009
Tags: adequate rest, air safety, air traffic controllers, airline pilots association, american airlines, chesley, co pilot, crash landing, crew room, emergency landing, fire trucks, james ray, last flight, national hero, new york daily news, skiles, staying power, us airways, us airways flight, voice of reason