Hubble telescope finds carbon dioxide on extrasolar planetDecember 10th, 2008 - 11:08 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 10 (Xinhua) The Hubble Space Telescope has discovered carbon dioxide in the atmosphere of a planet orbiting another star, the US space agency NASA reported Tuesday. This breakthrough is an important step toward finding chemical biotracers of extraterrestrial life, said NASA.
The Jupiter-sized planet, called HD 189733b, lies 63 light-years away from earth. It is too hot for life, but the Hubble observations are a proof-of-concept demonstration that the basic chemistry for life can be measured on planets orbiting other stars.
Organic compounds also can be a by-product of life processes and their detection on an Earth like planet someday may provide the first evidence of life beyond our planet, NASA said.
Previous observations of HD 189733b by Hubble and the Spitzer Space Telescope found water vapour. Earlier this year, Hubble found methane in the planet’s atmosphere.
“These atmospheric studies will begin to determine the compositions and chemical processes operating on distant worlds orbiting other stars. The future for this newly opened frontier of science is extremely promising as we expect to discover many more molecules in exoplanet atmospheres,” said Eric Smith, Hubble programme scientist at NASA.
- NASA's little telescope detects Earth-like planet - Feb 04, 2010
- Exoplanet neighbour smaller than Earth discovered - Jul 19, 2012
- Astronomers discover diamond-studded planet - Dec 09, 2010
- Hot Jupiter exoplanet discovery sheds light on evolution of planetary systems - Jan 16, 2011
- NASA's Spitzer detects light of alien 'Super-Earth' - May 09, 2012
- Strange 'hot spot' seen on distant exoplanet - Oct 20, 2010
- 'Hottest' planet found has scorching heat of 3,200 Degree C - Jan 28, 2011
- Astronomers discover darkest known planet - Aug 13, 2011
- NASA confirms presence of 'baked cometary planet' - Jul 16, 2010
- Astronomers detect first superstorm on exoplanet - Jun 24, 2010
- Indian American astronomer finds diamond-studded planet - Dec 09, 2010
- NASA's Kepler space telescope discovers 5 earth-like exoplanets - Jan 05, 2010
- Hubble observes star eating a planet - May 21, 2010
- NASA discovers 2 new planets - Aug 27, 2010
- Earth-sized planets found beyond solar system - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: atmospheric studies, basic chemistry, carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, concept demonstration, hd 189733b, hubble observations, hubble space telescope, hubble telescope, spitzer space telescope, us space agency