How Obama’s dog was vetted before his White House residencyApril 14th, 2009 - 5:07 pm ICT by ANI
Chicago, Apr 14 (ANI): It’s Bo day at Obama residence. The eagerly awaited White House pooch, a Portuguese water dog, joins the First family today.
Bo has a big clout behind him - he’s a gift from Sen. Ted Kennedy. But, besides that he had to prove himself worthy through a vetting process.
The pooch’s final vetting came during a visit to the White House for a little over an hour in mid-March.
However, Bo’s selection comes with some controversy.
When Obama was asked during his first post-election press conference about the dog, he outlined two criteria.
Obama said the pooch had to be hypoallergenic because of Malia’s allergies, and “our preference would be to get a shelter dog.”
Though the 6-month-old Bo comes from a breed considered hypoallegenic, Bo is not from a shelter. Bo’s mother is Cappy, one of several dogs owned by dog lover Kennedy. And Bo is a repurposed pup.
Catherine McCormick-Lelyveld, a spokesman for the first lady, told the Chicago Sun-Times, “They were looking at shelters, but in the end the Kennedys learned of this litter mate of their dog who needed a home and they wanted to give the girls a gift — and here we are!”
Lelyveld further explained, Bo “was previously owned but did not get along with the other dogs in its last house. The Kennedys learned of its availability and got it for the Obama girls.” (ANI)
- Michelle Obama, with daughters, skiing in Colorado - Feb 20, 2011
- Woman who trained Obama family dog Bo dies aged 52 - Jan 16, 2011
- Obama's pooch makes friends in Hawaii - Dec 25, 2010
- Here's everything you wanted to know about Obamas' pooch! - Apr 13, 2009
- Michelle Obama White House 'hell' claim dismissed - Sep 17, 2010
- US First Dog, Bo, arrives at White House - Apr 15, 2009
- New shipment of stuffed version of Obama's pooch hit Chicago shelves - May 14, 2009
- At last... a first puppy for the Obamas: Report - Apr 12, 2009
- Bo Obama gets book deal - Apr 17, 2009
- Obama says he scoops first dog Bo's poop - Dec 18, 2010
- Bo Obama's official portrait unveiled - Jun 20, 2009
- Bo with 'star quality' makes debut in White House - Apr 15, 2009
- Bo, the First Dog, loves to chew people's feet: Michelle Obama - Apr 24, 2009
- The First Dog 'will move in on Tuesday' - Apr 12, 2009
- Bo Takes The Bow At White House - Apr 25, 2010
Tags: cappy, catherine mccormick, chicago sun times, clout, controversy, dog lover, first lady, kennedys, litter mate, malia, mid march, old bo, portuguese water dog, preference, pup, several dogs, spokesman, ted kennedy, vetting process, white house