Horse racing abandoned at Newbury after horses dieFebruary 12th, 2011 - 9:49 pm ICT by BNO News
NEWBURY, ENGLAND (BNO NEWS) — Horse racing at the Newbury Racecourse in Berkshire, England was abandoned on Saturday after two horses suddenly died, organizers said.
The incident happened just before the start of Race 1 and it was not immediately clear what killed the horses. “Very sadly two horses have died in the parade ring prior to the first race. Vets are carrying out inspections,” a spokesperson said in a statement. “Our thoughts are with the owners, trainers, jockeys and stable staff involved.”
The spokesperson later added in a second statement that racing has been abandoned for Saturday due to the incident, but provided no other details about the deaths. “The reasons are unknown at this stage,” it said.
Newbury Racecourse is a popular British racecourse and hosts one of Great Britain’s 31 Group 1 flat races, the Lockinge Stakes.
- History made as all horses fall during UK race and fail to finish - Mar 19, 2011
- Horse dies after winning prestigious race - May 14, 2012
- Dick Francis dies, aged 89 years - Feb 15, 2010
- Zenyatta Clinches 19th Consecutive Victory - Oct 03, 2010
- Secretariat Horse releases this weekend - Oct 10, 2010
- Four race horses succumb to heat wave in Bengal - Jun 07, 2012
- Girl survives but her horse dies of electrocution - Jun 18, 2012
- Calvin Borel Guides Super Saver To Victory In Kentucky Derby - May 02, 2010
- Drogba to run in Olympic torch relay - May 23, 2012
- Zenyatta Horse Featured On "CBS 60 Minutes" - Nov 01, 2010
- Calvin Borel Fights With Javier Castellano Post Marathon - Nov 06, 2010
- You will be president one day: Sister told Pranab - Jun 16, 2012
- Jockey Randy Romero And Point Given Along With Two Others Enter Racing Hall Of Fame - May 30, 2010
- Towcester racecourse to ban jockeys from using whips - Apr 22, 2011
- UK racecourse to create history with ban on jockeys using whips - Apr 22, 2011