Hong Kong shares plunges on US bailout defeatSeptember 30th, 2008 - 11:35 am ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, Sep 30 (DPA) Hong Kong shares plunged more than 6 percent in the first minutes of trading Tuesday in response to news of the defeat of the $700-billion rescue plan in Washington.The Hang Seng Index fell below 17,000 points within 10 minutes of the market opening Tuesday but recovered some lost ground to reach 17,266, a loss of 3.43 percent or 641 points on Monday’s close, by 11 a.m.
The plunge in share prices was mirrored by sharply lower prices across Asia after a sell-off on Wall Street in response to the rejection of the economic bail-out plan by the US House of Representatives overnight.
Hong Kong share prices have been in a prolonged decline since last October when they peaked at almost 32,000 points.
- Sensex dips 257 points; Infosys, Wipro slump (Roundup) - Jul 12, 2012
- Indian markets close flat as Euro crisis - Nov 02, 2011
- Hong Kong shares bounce back after opening 6 percent down (Lead) - Sep 30, 2008
- Sensex tanks 281 points (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Asian shares fall sharply on Wall Street's historic plunge - Sep 30, 2008
- US recession fears trigger panic selling at Indian bourses (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2011
- Sensex closes 356 points higher, led by RIL, Infosys - Sep 20, 2011
- Sensex closes 108 points down, mid, small scrips lose heavily - Aug 16, 2011
- Sensex rallies 226 points on European cues (Roundup) - Jul 10, 2012
- US downgrade continues to plague Indian markets (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2011
- Sensex closes 445 points lower at 19,865 points - Nov 16, 2010
- Sensex closes 71 points lower, still above 17,000 - Aug 11, 2011
- South Korea's investment in foreign securities plunges - Feb 28, 2012
- Sensex falls 147 percent, metal, power stocks slump - Jul 09, 2012
- Infosys results help Sensex close 421 points higher - Oct 12, 2011