Hong Kong politician burns $70,000 on mystic’s adviceMay 21st, 2009 - 12:05 pm ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, May 21 (DPA) A disgraced Hong Kong politician burned $70,000 on the advice of a feng shui master who told him it would help him avoid jail for vote-rigging, a news report said Thursday.
Gilbert Leung told a court that he was advised by the feng shui master to burn 15 1,000-Hong-Kong-dollar bills worth US$129 each every night for a year if he wanted to stay out of jail - an act that would have cost him more than US$700,000, the South China Morning Post reported.
To save money, Leung said he burned 100-Hong Kong-dollar bills worth US$12.90 each instead, but the nightly rituals failed to prevent him from going to prison when his case came to court.
When Leung challenged feng shui master Tony Chan about the outcome, Chan told Leung it was his fault for not following his advice by burning 1,000-Hong-Kong-dollar bills.
Asked by Chan’s barrister Ian Mill, “You had half a million (Hong Kong) dollars to burn at that time, did you Mr Leung?” the former politician replied, “I had more than that.”
Leung, who was jailed for vote-rigging in the 1990s, was testifying in an ongoing legal battle between the family of Asia’s one-time richest woman, the late Nina Wang, and Chan, who claims she left him her entire multibillion-dollar fortune in a disputed will.
Chan claimed he was the secret lover for 15 years of Wang, head of the Chinachem property empire, but family members claimed he is using a forged will to try to claim her fortune, which was meant for charity.
Feng shui is the traditional belief in organising one’s life according to the harmony of the elements and is widely followed by people in Hong Kong in everything from choosing auspicious wedding dates to arranging household furnishings.
- Feng shui master loses battle for fortune of Asia's richest woman - Feb 02, 2010
- Court hears Hong Kong tycoon tricked into giving away fortune - Apr 14, 2009
- Court: Nina Wang's lover's will is a forgery - Feb 03, 2010
- Bogus feng shui master jailed for duping Hong Kong model into sex - Jan 21, 2010
- Nina Wang's alleged lover claims her multi-billion-dollar fortune - Jun 30, 2009
- Asia's richest woman was feng shui master's lover, court told - Nov 15, 2008
- Asia'S richest woman gave away fortune in return for 'eternal life' - Nov 11, 2008
- Tony Chan's Claim On Nina Wang's Property Has Been Dismissed - Feb 03, 2010
- Nina Wang's pigtails will be presented by Tony Chan - May 11, 2009
- Jackie Chan among least trustworthy Hong Kong people - Mar 01, 2010
- Masked woman distributes food, money among poor in Hong Kong - May 31, 2011
- Twenty-two arrested for vote-rigging in Hong Kong - Dec 06, 2011
- Man jailed for life for killing 3 prostitutes in Hong Kong - Jul 29, 2009
- Energy-consuming light bulbs to go out in Hong Kong - Aug 15, 2011
- Hong Kong teacher jailed for photographing semi-nude schoolgirls - Jan 19, 2010
Tags: barrister, china morning post, dollar bills, dollar fortune, feng shui master, going to prison, half a million, hong kong dollar, hong kong dollars, household furnishings, multibillion dollar, news report, nina wang, richest woman, secret lover, south china morning, south china morning post, tony chan, traditional belief, vote rigging