Honda sells F1 team to former manager BrawnMarch 6th, 2009 - 12:30 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, March 6 (DPA) Honda Motor Co has sold its Formula One racing team to its former manager Ross Brawn, Japan’s second largest carmaker announced here Friday.
Honda pulled out of F1 in December, citing the global economic crisis. Since then the Brackley, England-based Honda Racing F1 Team (HRF1) team has fought for its survival.
“The entire shares of the HRF1, held by Honda GP Holdings Ltd, the UK-based holding company for HRF1 that managed all operations of Honda’s Formula One racing, were sold to Ross Brawn,” a company statement said.
In a first statement issued late Wednesday, Brawn said the last months had been extremely difficult for the team “but today’s announcement is the very pleasing conclusion to the strenuous efforts that have been made to secure its future”.
Hiroshi Oshima, Honda’s motor sports managing officer, said that since the announcement of Honda’s exit from F1 in December they “conducted various studies and discussions so that the team can continue its activities as a new team”.
“We are pleased that we could sell the team to Ross Brawn,” Oshima said.
Japan’s number two carmaker after Toyota expects profits to drop to 80 billion yen in the fiscal year ending March 31.
The new Brawn GP Formula One Team’s racing car is reportedly ready for the season-opening Australian Grand Prix March 29 with Mercedes delivering the engines and Briton Jenson Button and Brazilian Rubens Barrichello the driver pairing.
- Rise of Brawn GP and Button fails to paper over F1 cracks - Dec 12, 2009
- Ross Brawn criticises Button for leaving his F1 team - Apr 27, 2010
- Mercedes support essential for new Brawn GP team - Mar 07, 2009
- Toyota to quit Formula One racing: Reports - Nov 04, 2009
- Buddh Circuit to host Superbike World Championship in 2013 - Jun 09, 2012
- Rosberg signs multi-year contract with Mercedes - Nov 10, 2011
- World Superbike sealed, talks on for Moto GP: Jaypee - Apr 12, 2012
- Britain rejoices in Button's feat - Oct 19, 2009
- Superbike World Championship calendar ready to add India - Mar 10, 2012
- Formula 1: Button finally delivers to take deserved world title - Oct 19, 2009
- Button bid for F-I glory in double trouble - Sep 15, 2009
- Di Grassi to test drive for Honda Formula One team - Nov 08, 2008
- Schumacher confident of podium finish driving his new F1 car - Feb 02, 2011
- Rosberg joins Mercedes, Brawn rules out Schumacher - Nov 23, 2009
- Bridgestone to pull out of F1 at end of 2010 season - Nov 02, 2009
Tags: australian grand prix, brackley, brazilian rubens barrichello, briton, fiscal year ending march, formula one racing, global economic crisis, hiroshi oshima, honda gp, honda motor, honda motor co, jenson button, largest carmaker, oshima, racing car, ross brawn, rubens barrichello, strenuous efforts, tokyo march, year ending march