Homeless couple return $10,000 found on Brazil streetJuly 10th, 2012 - 10:44 am ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, July 10 (IANS/EFE) A homeless couple turned over to police a bag containing about 20,000 reais ($10,000) that they found abandoned on a street in Brazil’s largest city, authorities said.
The couple, who have been living together for about four months under a bridge in eastern Sao Paulo and support themselves by selling recyclable trash, approached a security guard in the early hours Sunday and asked him to call the police to report the find.
The couple said that they were sleeping when they heard an alarm, apparently from a nearby shop, and looked out to see what was happening.
They saw the bag with the money lying near a bus stop on a main thoroughfare in the eastern part of the city.
Rejaniel Silva Santos, 36, said that the first thing he thought about when he saw all the money in the bag was to call the police.
The man, who earns about 15 reais ($7.50) per day for recycling trash, said that the only thing he wants is for his mother, who lives in the northern state of Maranhao, to see him on television.
“My mother taught me that I must not steal and to tell the police if I see anyone doing anything (illegal). If she sees me on TV there in Maranhao she’ll know that her son is still one of the honest people in the world,” he said.
Police said that besides the money, inside the bag were checks and receipts that enabled them to determine that it was money stolen last week from a Japanese restaurant.
Santos said that he came to Sao Paulo 16 years ago from Maranhao to work in civil construction and decided to live on the street after losing his job and separating from his then-wife, with whom he had a son.
He met his current partner, Sandra Reina Domingues, with whom he has been living for about four months, on the street.
The police officers who responded to the man’s call said that they had never dealt with a similar case and admitted that they were perplexed when Santos showed them the money and explained the situation to them.
- Armed Brazilian demands bank returns her $25 - Aug 03, 2012
- Brazil importing Spanish defence technology - Aug 24, 2012
- Brazilian to return $234 mn in looted public money - Aug 24, 2012
- Brazilian gang stealing hair from beauty salons - Dec 28, 2011
- Chinese oil firm eyes investments in Brazil - Oct 13, 2011
- Journalist slain in Brazil - Apr 25, 2012
- Headless bodies of four women found in Honduras - Sep 04, 2012
- Man holds up Brazil vice president with toy gun - Jul 10, 2011
- Kidnap victim freed after scrawling note on toilet paper - Oct 11, 2011
- Five cities hold 25 percent of Brazil's national wealth - Dec 15, 2011
- Brazilian cannibals made home movie of crimes - Apr 17, 2012
- Mob kills murder suspect in Brazil - May 16, 2012
- Brazilian supermodel to wed one of Bob Marley's sons - May 14, 2012
- Eight gunned down in Brazilian city - Jul 13, 2012
- Homeless pair find $10,000 in Brazil and they turned it over to the police - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: bus stop, city authorities, civil construction, couple return, four months, homeless couple, japanese restaurant, maranhao, nearby shop, police officers, receipts, recycling, reina, rio de janeiro, sandra, sao paulo, security guard, silva, thoroughfare, trash