Home-grown terror threat “real, different and constant”: US Attorney GeneralDecember 22nd, 2010 - 5:29 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 22 (ANI): US Attorney General Eric Holder has warned although the country is ready to thwart attacks, Americans should be aware that threat of home-grown terror activities are “real and consistent”.
Americans “have to be prepared for potentially bad news. What I am trying to do in this interview is to make people aware of the fact that the threat is real, the threat is different, the threat is constant,” ABC News quoted Holder, as saying.
He further raised his concern over the alarming rise in the number of Americans who are more than willing to attack and kill their fellow citizens.
“It is one of the things that keeps me up at night. You didn’t worry about this even two years ago — about individuals, about Americans, to the extent that we now do. And that is of great concern,” he added.
According to Holder, in the last 24 months, 126 people have been indicted on terrorist-related charges, 50 of those being American citizens. He also said that many of these al Qaeda militants have a common link to the American born radical cleric Anwar Al Awlaki.
Authorities suspect Awlaki helped mastermind last year’s Christmas Day underwear bombing plot in Detroit, and a recent scheme to blow up cargo planes travelling from Yemen to Europe and the United States.
The US has placed Awlaki on the same terror threat list as Osama bin Laden.
“He would be on the same list with bin Laden,” the attorney general said. “He’s up there. I don’t know whether he’s one, two, three, four — I don’t know. But he’s certainly on the list of the people who worry me the most,” he said. (ANI)
- Yemeni terror offshoot now bigger threat to US than Osama's al-Qaeda group: CSIS - Feb 09, 2011
- Bomb discovery underscores threat from Yemen, al-Qaeda: US offficial - Oct 30, 2010
- Official cites terror threat to justify targeting Americans - Mar 06, 2012
- Terrorists could target America this festive season: US security officials - Dec 22, 2010
- Yemen charges US-born radical cleric Al-Awlaki for first time - Nov 03, 2010
- Islamist groups are elated by Arab revolts: Awlaki - Mar 31, 2011
- Al Qaeda leaders killed in Yemen air strike - May 07, 2012
- New York police arrest 'al-Qaeda sympathizer' who plotted bombing campaign - Nov 21, 2011
- Awlaki's latest fatwa calls for destruction of buildings - Jan 18, 2011
- Al-Qaeda calls for terror attack on crowded Washington restaurant at lunch hour - Oct 12, 2010
- Us judge dismisses suit challenging government's authority to kill Qaeda's Al-Awlaki - Dec 08, 2010
- Second al-Qaeda magazine edition features 'proud to be US traitor's' testimony - Oct 12, 2010
- Alleged Texas jihad plot underscores lone wolf terrorist threat inside US - Feb 26, 2011
- Al-Awlaki's death major blow to Al Qaeda: Obama - Oct 01, 2011
- Al-Qaeda leader Al-Awlaki killed: Yemen - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: abc news, al qaeda, alarming rise, american citizens, authorities, bad news, cargo planes, christmas, christmas day, eric holder, europe, extent, mastermind, osama bin laden, radical cleric, terror activities, terror threat, underwear, us attorney general, yemen