Holbrooke’s last words were about stopping the Afghan warDecember 15th, 2010 - 1:07 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec. 15 (ANI): US President Barack Obama’s former Special Envoy to Pakistan and Afghanistan Richard C. Holbrooke’s final thoughts were apparently about the war in Afghanistan and a desire to stop it, his family, close friends and colleagues have revealed.
The Washington Post, citing his family members, reported that Holbrooke had told his physician just before surgery on Friday to “stop this war.”
But on Tuesday a fuller account of the tone and contents of his remarks emerged.
As Dr. Jehan El-Bayoumi was attending to Holbrooke in the emergency room at George Washington University Hospital, she told him to relax and asked what she could do to comfort him, according to an aide who was present.
Holbrooke, who was in severe pain, said jokingly that it was hard to relax because he had to worry about the difficult situation in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
El-Bayoumi, an Egyptian-American internist who is Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton’s physician, replied that she would worry for him. Holbrooke responded by telling her to end the war, the aide said.
The aide said he could not be sure of Holbrooke’s exact words.
He emphasized Tuesday that the comment was made in painful banter, rather than as a serious exhortation about policy. Holbrooke also spoke extensively about his family and friends as he awaited surgery by Farzad Najam, a thoracic surgeon of Pakistani descent. (ANI)
- Richard Holbrooke Passes Away - Dec 15, 2010
- Richard Holbrooke In Critical Condition After Heart Surgery - Dec 12, 2010
- Zardari likely to visit Washington for Holbrooke's Jan 12 memorial service - Jan 01, 2011
- 'Larger than life': U.S. Ambassador Richard Holbrooke dead at 69 - Dec 14, 2010
- US diplomat Richard Holbrooke dies at 69 - Dec 14, 2010
- US trouble shooter Richard Holbrooke is dead (Third Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Key Obama aide Holbrooke critical after aorta surgery - Dec 12, 2010
- Holbrooke an accomplished diplomat: India - Dec 14, 2010
- Frank Ruggiero replaces Holbrooke as acting US special envoy - Dec 15, 2010
- Veteran US Diplomat Richard Holbrooke Passes Away At 69 - Dec 14, 2010
- Once uneasy with Holbrooke, India calls him an accomplished diplomat (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Zardari sends over flowers, get well message to critically ill Holbrooke - Dec 13, 2010
- Holbrooke was America's most dedicated public servant: Clinton - Dec 14, 2010
- Pakistan praying for Holbrooke's recovery: Qureshi - Dec 12, 2010
- Obama describes Holbrooke as 'towering figure', prays for him - Dec 12, 2010
Tags: afghan war, banter, barack obama, bayoumi, close friends, exact words, exhortation, farzad, final thoughts, george washington university, george washington university hospital, hillary rodham clinton, holbrooke, internist, jehan, richard c, severe pain, thoracic surgeon, war in afghanistan, washington post