Hitler’s first self-portrait up for auctionMarch 26th, 2009 - 2:01 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 26 (ANI): A self-portrait of Adolf Hitler is to go under the hammer.
The Nazi leader is hardly recognisable with no moustache in the picture which is thought to be the first he ever painted.
But he identifies himself with the initials AH by his head.
The amateurish painting is among 13 works by the Nazi dictator, created back in 1910 when he was just 21.
The small portrait has no nose or mouth, but the side parting hairstyle is unmistakable.
All the pictures were found in Essen, Germany, in 1945 by Company Sergeant Major Willie J McKenna. He sold them to the current unnamed owner, who kept them hidden for decades.
The pictures are expected to fetch tens of thousands of pounds at Ludlow Racecourse, Shrops, on April 23.
“There’s absolutely nothing in them to suggest the monster he became. But one can see why he didn’t make it as an artist,” The Sun quoted Richard Westwood-Brookes of Mullock’s auctioneers,a s saying. (ANI)
- Sketches of Hitler's artist who erased name from files post war up for grabs - Apr 04, 2011
- Tipu Sultan painting to be auctioned in Britain - Sep 05, 2012
- Hitler's paintings to be auctioned in Sweden - Nov 08, 2011
- Adolf Hitler's painting on sale - Mar 26, 2009
- Is Hitler 'self-portrait' fake? - May 10, 2009
- British spy sang for Hitler with secret documents in her underwear - Sep 10, 2010
- Stalin death mask goes on sale - Jan 24, 2012
- Sigmund Freud may have had Adolf Hitler painting - Feb 13, 2010
- Stalin's death mask sold for 3,600 pounds - Jan 25, 2012
- Rare World War II photographs of British troops found - May 28, 2009
- Rare portraits of Gandhi to be auctioned in England - Jan 13, 2012
- 30000 pounds for rare copy of Mein Kampf signed by Hitler - Apr 11, 2011
- Nazi sticker book including Hitlers snaps up for auction - Jan 28, 2009
- Hitler's signed autobiography to go on sale - Apr 11, 2011
- Nazi women's magazines blaming Brits for WWII to be auctioned - Apr 15, 2009
Tags: adolf hitler, amateurish painting, auctioneers, brookes, company sergeant major, essen germany, hairstyle, hammer, initials, ludlow racecourse, mckenna, monster, moustache, mullock, nazi dictator, nazi leader, self portrait, sergeant major, tens of thousands, westwood