Hitler ‘poisoned himself with cyanide’May 8th, 2010 - 11:29 am ICT by ANI
London, May 8 (ANI): A top Russian KGB official has claimed that Adolf Hitler, the Nazi leader, didn’t commit suicide by shooting himself with a gun, but poisoned himself with cyanide.
Lieutenant-General Vasily Khristoforov, the top archivist for Russia’s FSB security service, said Soviet military medics at the time had determined that Hitler and his mistress Eva Braun had died after ingesting cyanide on April 30, 1945.
“The presence of the remains of crushed glass capsules in the mouth and the sharp odour of bitter almonds from the corpses, and the results of an internal post-mortem led the (Soviet) commission to conclude that it was death by cyanide poisoning.
“Thus the myth put about by those Nazis left in Berlin that ‘the Fuhrer died like a soldier having shot himself in his bunker’ was shattered,” The Telegraph quoted him as saying.
According to Soviet medics there weren’t any serious wounds on Hitler’s heavily burned body either, he added.
If accurate, the officer’s claim not only busts the widely held myth of Hitler’s ‘honourable death’, but also casts a shadow on the authenticity of a skull fragment kept in Russia’s state archive that purportedly belonged to Hitler.
The fragment has a bullet hole in it yet but American researchers claim that it belonged to a woman aged from 20 to 40 and could not be Hitler’s.
The Russians have defended the skull’s authenticity but haven’t been able to refute this claim. (ANI)
- Russia says 'skull with hole' only evidence of Hitler's suicide - Dec 09, 2009
- Hitler's bullet-punctured skull is actually a woman's, claim US researchers - Sep 28, 2009
- Former KGB officer claims to have cremated Hitler - May 01, 2010
- Hitler's Viagra made from semen, young bulls - Feb 06, 2010
- FBI believed Hitler 'faked his own death with a bogus suicide' in 1945 - Apr 10, 2011
- Russian president loses temper at press conference - Sep 13, 2011
- Hitler once worshipped as Vishnu in elite Kolkata homes: Historian - Jun 07, 2010
- The mutt who mimicked the Nazi salute and mocked Hitler - Jan 08, 2011
- Three Russian journalists detained in Kazakhstan - Dec 19, 2011
- Bollywood's Hitler biopic with Indian twist - Jun 09, 2010
- Man who cremated Hitler won't tell where ashes are - May 02, 2010
- Hitler's Berlin bunker: unseen pictures revealed - May 05, 2010
- Hitler ordered creation of Nazi UFOs to destroy London, New York - Apr 26, 2011
- Adolf Hitler Had Jewish-African Origins, Research Suggests - Aug 25, 2010
- Osama shares May 1 death with Hitler - May 02, 2011
Tags: adolf hitler, american researchers, archivist, bitter almonds, bullet hole, commit suicide, crushed glass, cyanide poisoning, fuhrer, honourable, military medics, mistress eva braun, nazi leader, odour, post mortem, russian kgb, security service, skull fragment, state archive, vasily