Hispanics favour Obama: surveySeptember 20th, 2008 - 3:43 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 20 (IANS) Fifty-five percent of Hispanic voters, who constitute an important segment of the US electorate, prefer Democrat presidential hopeful Barack Obama to his Republican rival John McCain, EFE news agency reported Saturday quoting a new poll.The latest figures from a survey by the Pew Hispanic Center put Obama well ahead of McCain.
Hispanics are the largest and fastest-growing minority community in the US and their vote is highly important for both the candidates, not so much for their numerical strength - nine percent of the electorate - but for their concentration in key states like Florida, New Mexico, Nevada and Colorado.
About 50 percent of the Hispanics registered to vote considered Obama more qualified than his opponent to defend the rights of immigrants, compared with 12 percent who favoured McCain.
McCain was described by only 11 percent of the sample as capable of protecting the interest of Latinos who represent 15.4 percent of the US population.
While seven percent of Latinos said that the Republican Party best defends their interests, almost half the sample - 49 percent - preferred the Democratic Party in that regard.
Seventy-three percent of the sample condemned the criminal prosecution of undocumented immigrants working without permits, according to the survey.
- Latino voters sticking with Obama, Democrats: Poll - Dec 29, 2011
- Latinos still back Obama over Republicans - Dec 29, 2011
- 12 million Latinos to vote in US polls - Sep 13, 2012
- One in 12 babies born to illegal immigrants in US - Aug 12, 2010
- GOP voters now active on social networking sites for 'political purposes' like Democrats - Jan 28, 2011
- Indians among illegal immigrants seek relief from deportation - Aug 16, 2012
- Anti-immigrant climate spurs Hispanics to vote - Nov 05, 2008
- Obama needs Palin on the same ticket to win Arizona in 2012 - Feb 03, 2011
- Keeping immigrant families together is critical: Michelle - Jul 17, 2012
- US had 11.5 mn undocumented immigrants in 2011 - Mar 26, 2012
- Talent young illegal immigrants can stay in US: Obama - Jun 16, 2012
- John McCain ranked most conservative US senator in 2010 - Feb 25, 2011
- Only 31 percent Latinos, Asians voted in 2010 US midterm elections: Report - Apr 27, 2011
- Indian Americans lead all in income, education: Survey - Jun 20, 2012
- Hispanics support Obama in four crucial states: Poll - Sep 10, 2008
Tags: barack obama, criminal prosecution, efe news agency, florida new mexico, hispanic voters, john mccain, numerical strength, pew hispanic center, presidential hopeful barack obama, undocumented immigrants