Hindus want Russell Brand to solemnize wedding with proper Hindu ritualsOctober 5th, 2010 - 12:01 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada (US, Oct 5 (ANI): Seeing his frequent forays into Hinduism, Hindus have suggested English actor-comedian Russell Brand to ceremonialize his upcoming wedding with American musician Katy Perry seriously with proper Hindu rituals and traditions.
Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, said: In Hinduism, vivah (marriage) is the most important samskar (sacrament). Married couple is looked as a complete module for worship and participation in cultural/social acts. With the marriage samskar, one thoroughly enters into grihasth-ashram (householder phase), where one can attend to the goals of dharm (duty).
Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, further stated: Traditional Hindu marriage is a sacred rite and involves various religious steps, including-
kanyadaan (giving of the bride), panigrahan (hand grasping), reciting from scriptures, walking around the fire saying Vedic mantars (hymns), saptapadi (seven steps) on the piles of rice, etc. Course of conventional Hindu wedding includes various religious/cultural/social procedures, including-gunapariksha, patrika (horoscope) matching, vagdana (betrothal), pressing a tilak (religious mark) on the bridegroom, worship of gods/ancestors/spirits, mrdaharana (bringing of earth) by mothers, applying mehndi (henna) on the bride, Ganesh worship, worship of goddess Sitala for 3-7 days, bride’s abhishek (consecration) by the priest, saptarsimandal (asking stars to be witnesses), dispersal rites, coconut smashing at the temple, etc.
If Brand needed any help, he or other Hindu scholars would gladly guide him through the process, Rajan Zed added.
BAFTA nominated Russell Edward Brand (35) of England is reportedly attracted to Hinduism; carries a Sanskrit tattoo on his body; and has made visits to a Hindu temple. His catchphrase is “Hare Krishna” and Mahatma Gandhi is reportedly one of his heroes. He was quoted as saying: “I’m into yoga, I meditate all the time, I’m vegetarian.”
Brand-Perry nuptials are expected to take place later this month in India, where the proposal took place in 2009. There are reports of a week-long wedding extravaganza. According to reports, Mindy Weiss is the wedding planner; Perry’s dress is designed by Reem Acra; while the guest list includes Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Noel Gallaghar, Jonathan Ross, David Walliams, Morrissey, etc. (ANI)
- Hindus ask Brand-Perry to take marriage seriously as it is a sacred rite - Oct 17, 2010
- Hindus feel Brand-Perry marriage 'moving in right direction' - Oct 22, 2010
- Zed wants solemnity back in Hindu weddings - Aug 06, 2010
- Hindus say 'model' Royal wedding might bolster dwindling institution of marriage - Jan 06, 2011
- Hindus say proposed Canadian immigration marriage regulations unfairly target traditions - Apr 14, 2010
- Michelle Obama buys Ganesh & Hanuman icons in India - Nov 09, 2010
- Hindus laud Brazil for electing first female President - Nov 02, 2010
- Christian Church transformed into Ganapathy Hindu temple in Scotland - Jan 04, 2011
- Brand asked to take Hindu marriage ceremony seriously (Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- Hinduism discussed at prominent Nevada Jewish synagogue - Mar 16, 2011
- Hinduism discussion welcomed in rural Nevada - Feb 28, 2011
- Hindus greet Chaplin's grandson for undergoing traditional Hindu wedding in India - Feb 20, 2011
- Hindus, who protested "Love Guru", congratulate Mike Myers on marriage - Mar 07, 2011
- Hindu statesman Zed invited to eminent Nevada Jewish synagogue - Jan 31, 2011
- Top Jesuit University in USA teaches Vedas - Jan 31, 2011
Tags: american musician, comedian russell, frequent forays, hare krishna, hindu rituals, hindu scholars, hindu statesman, hindu temple, hindu wedding, mahatma gandhi, rajan zed, russell brand, russell edward, sacred rite, sitala, social acts, traditional hindu marriage, universal society, usa today, vivah