Hindus urge authentic portrayal of Lord Buddha in upcoming mega-filmMay 11th, 2009 - 4:42 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada (US), May 11 (ANI): Welcoming the recent announcement of English language international mega-film on Buddha, Hindus have urged its makers to present an authentic portrayal of his life and times.
Acclaimed Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, said that Gautama Buddha, besides Buddhists is also revered by Hindus. Reimagining of scriptures and life of Buddha purely for mercantile greed would likely to hurt the devotees.
Zed, who is president of Universal Society of Hinduism, said that they welcomed filmmakers to work on religious themes and figures, but they would recommend them to handle faith related subjects very carefully and sensitively, as cinema was a highly powerful medium.
Apparently the most expensive film ever made in Bollywood, this reportedly about 122 million dollars project, produced by Spice Enfotainment headed by industrialist B. K. Modi and directed by Filmfare Award winner Ashutosh Gowarikar (Lagaan) with a diverse cast and crew, is expected to go on the floor in May 2010 and be completed by the end of the year.
Reportedly scripted by Oscar winner David S. Ward (Sleepless in Seattle) on a book by Vietnamese Zen Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh, biographical “Buddha” will be shot in the foothills of Himalayas. Spiritual and temporal leader of Tibetan Buddhists His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama reportedly also has some kind of advisory role with the movie.
Founder of Buddhism, Gautama Buddha (roughly 568-483 BCE) is also known as Sakyamuni or Siddhartha. Buddha means Wise One or Enlightened One. For Hindus, he was ninth avatar (incarnation) of Vishnu (the all-pervader). (ANI)
- Buddhists welcome Hindu statesman Zed to Bodhi Day commemoration in Nevada - Dec 06, 2010
- Hindus greet Buddhists on Bodhi Day - Dec 05, 2010
- Hindus send greetings to Buddhists on Vesakha - Apr 28, 2011
- Hindus greet Buddhists on Vesakha - Apr 27, 2011
- Hindus greet Buddhists on Magha Puja - Feb 13, 2011
- Hindus greet Buddhists on Vesakha - May 24, 2010
- Hindus want comics to accurately portray scriptural heroes and tales - Mar 07, 2011
- Catholics back Hindus protesting over mockery of Lord Ganesh by Carrey on NBC - Feb 05, 2011
- Christians-Buddhists-Jews support Hindus upset over depiction of Lord Ganesh as sex act - Jan 31, 2011
- Hindus greet Buddhists on Asalha Puja - Jul 17, 2010
- Hindus express concern about "Ramayana-The Epic" film - Oct 16, 2010
- Buddhists seek "heartfelt apology from all involved" in Jim Carrey's mockery of Hindu Lord Ganesh - Jan 23, 2011
- America's top civil rights group backs Hindus upset with NBC over Lord Ganesh mockery - Feb 07, 2011
- Nevada's Buddhist Center honors Hindu statesman Rajan Zed - Dec 21, 2010
- Hindus concerned about DreamWorks' 'Monkeys of Bollywood' - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: 14th dalai lama, authentic portrayal, buddhist monk, dalai lama, enlightened one, founder of buddhism, gautama buddha, hindu statesman, incarnation of vishnu, life of buddha, lord buddha, rajan zed, sakyamuni, sleepless in seattle, temporal leader, thich nhat hanh, tibetan buddhists, universal society, vietnamese zen, zen buddhist