Hindus praise Pope for highlighting familySeptember 26th, 2010 - 3:37 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada (US), Sep 26 (ANI): Hindus have praised His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI for his message pointing to the need of spending more time together with families.
In a letter released on September 24 at Vatican City for the “Seventh World Meeting of Families 2012″ to be held at Milan (Italy) from May 30 to June two on the theme “The Family: Work and Rest”, Pope reportedly said: “In our own time, unfortunately, the organisation of work, which is planned and implemented as a function of market competition and maximising profit, and the concept of rest as a time for evasion and consumption, contribute to the break-up of families and communities, and to the spread of an individualistic lifestyle”.
Eminent Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, said that consumerism had almost acquired the status of a religion for many of us in the world, which had resulted in neglecting spiritual and family values that formed the roots of faith traditions. We needed to avoid the excesses of consumerism and respect traditional family values.
Rajan Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, stressed the need of working together on common goals for better future of the humankind.
Pope Benedict heads the Roman Catholic Church, which is the largest of the Christian denominations. Hinduism, oldest and third largest religion of the world, has about one billion adherents and moksh (liberation) is its ultimate goal. (ANI)
- Hindus okay for participation in Pope's religious peace summit - Jan 02, 2011
- Zed asks people of India to shun excessive consumerism - Jul 30, 2010
- Vatican stresses 'truth' as focus of new technologies: Hindus agree - Jan 22, 2011
- Hindus laud Pope for telling seminarians to learn other religions - Oct 19, 2010
- Hindus want religions join hands to tackle poverty - Jan 02, 2011
- Hindus laud Pope for lunching with poor & seek a unified action on poverty eradication - Dec 27, 2010
- Hindu statesman greets Pope on 84th birthday - Apr 16, 2011
- Pope's Lent message has similarities with ancient Hindu text Bhagavad-Gita - Feb 26, 2011
- Hindus welcome Catholic-Jewish dialogue, calling it 'step in the right direction' - Mar 13, 2011
- Hindus laud Pope's interest in solar-powered electric "popemobile" - Dec 03, 2010
- Top Jesuit University in USA teaches Vedas - Jan 31, 2011
- Catholic University of America offers Hinduism courses - Nov 30, 2010
- Hindus critical of Pope charging for Glasgow mass - Jul 28, 2010
- Major Catholic University in USA teaches Hinduism courses - Feb 08, 2011
- Pope says there is rubbish in our consciousness: Hindus purify it through selfless work - Nov 04, 2010
Tags: benedict xvi, better future, christian denominations, faith traditions, hindu statesman, hindus, holiness pope, market competition, maximising profit, milan italy, nevada usa, one billion, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, roman catholic church, traditional family values, universal society, usa today, vatican city, zed