Hindus & Jews urge Pope to halt Roma demolitions in ItalySeptember 8th, 2010 - 4:08 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada (US), Sept 8 (ANI): Hindus and Jews have urged His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI to urgently intervene and try to stop the proposed demolition of Roma (Gypsy) settlements in Italy.
According to reports, Rome has planned to demolish 200 Roma settlements, resulting in making thousands of Roma, including women and children, homeless, and losing their possessions, jobs, etc. Many of their children attended schools.
Noted Hindu statesman Rajan Zed and Rabbi Jonathan B. Freirich, prominent Jewish leader in Nevada and California in USA; in a joint statement in Nevada today, said that this Roma apartheid and racism was happening right under Pope’s nose. As religion taught us to plead for the oppressed, stand with the poor, and seek justice for those whom God loved and too often the world overlooked; Pope’s silence on this issue would be simply “out-of-line” and “shocking”.
Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, and Freirich argued that apartheid of about 15-million Roma people of Europe was immoral and a dark stain on the face of Europe and world. It was almost sinful and morally unjustifiable for us religious people to just ignore Roma suffer day after day and not raise concern.
Rajan Zed and Rabbi Freirich were hopeful that Pope would not stay apathetic and silent spectator when fellow Roma brothers/sisters were reportedly facing blatant maltreatment, which was outside even the European Union norms. It was Pope’s moral obligation to make efforts to stop human rights violations suffered by European Roma.
Europe’s most persecuted and discriminated community, Roma reportedly regularly encountered social exclusion, racism, substandard education, hostility, joblessness, rampant illness, inadequate housing, lower life expectancy, unrest, living on desperate margins, stereotypes, mistrust, rights violations, discrimination, marginalization, appalling living conditions, prejudice, human rights abuse, etc., Zed and Rabbi Freirich pointed out. (ANI)
- Miley Cyrus asked to raise Gypsy apartheid issue on her "Gypsy Heart" tour - Apr 24, 2011
- Hindus and Jews ask Miley Cyrus to raise Gypsy apartheid issue on her "Gypsy Heart" tour - Apr 25, 2011
- Hindus & Jews ask upcoming Hungarian EU Presidency to end European Roma apartheid - Dec 21, 2010
- Hindus & Jews concerned at Pope's silence on Roma deportations in Europe - Aug 04, 2010
- Hindus & Jews ask Pope to tell Sarkozy that Roma maltreatment is not acceptable - Sep 21, 2010
- Hindus & Jews concerned at dismantling plan of Roma settlements in Rome - Sep 04, 2010
- Hindus, Jews Ask Pope to Abandon Double Standards on Roma Apartheid - Jan 17, 2011
- Hindus & Jews shocked at France's continuing Roma expulsion despite promise otherwise - Nov 09, 2010
- Hindus & Jews term Roma deportations from European countries as "blatant apartheid" - Aug 01, 2010
- Hindus & Jews critical of "Gypsy criminals" election advertisement in Hungary - Oct 02, 2010
- Hindus and Jews ask EU & UN to halt France's racism engulfed Roma maltreatment - Aug 14, 2010
- Hindus and Jews critical of Romania proposal of renaming "Roma" as "Tsigan" - Dec 14, 2010
- Hindus & Jews want sanctions against France on Roma maltreatment - Aug 27, 2010
- Hindus and Jews seek Romanian Church Patriarch's help to end Roma apartheid - Dec 28, 2010
- Hindus ask for compensation for maltreated Roma in France & Italy - Sep 11, 2010
Tags: apartheid, benedict xvi, dark stain, demolitions, freirich, hindu statesman, hindus, holiness pope, human rights abuse, human rights violations, jewish leader, joblessness, maltreatment, mistrust, moral obligation, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, rajan zed, social exclusion, universal society