Hindus greet Buddhists on Magha PujaFebruary 13th, 2011 - 5:38 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada (US), Feb 13 (ANI): Hindus have sent early greetings to Buddhist communities worldwide for the upcoming Magha Puja day, which falls on February 18.
Notable Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a release in Nevada (USA) today, expressed warmest greetings on behalf of Hindu community on Buddhist celebration of Magha Puja day, wishing peace, blessings and joy to all the Buddhists.
Rajan Zed, who is the president of Universal Society of Hinduism, stressed that all religions should work together for a just and peaceful world. Dialogue would bring us mutual enrichment, he added.
Also called Makha Bucha and Sangha Day, it is popular in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia. It commemorates a day when 1,250 arahants came to pay homage to Siddhartha Gautama and he addressed them and gave them the teachings called Ovadapatimokha, laying down the principles of Buddhist teachings. It shows special appreciation for the monastic sangha. In Thailand, Buddhists participate in candlelight processions from temples called Wian Tian. On this day, Buddhists visit temples to perform merit-making activities, circumambulate Uposatha Hall, do meditation, etc.
Buddhism, fourth largest religion of the world, is based on teachings attributed to Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha, the Awakened One). Hinduism, oldest and third largest religion of the world, has about one billion adherents and moksh (liberation) is its ultimate goal. (ANI)
- Hindus greet Buddhists on Asalha Puja - Jul 17, 2010
- Hindus greet Buddhists on Bodhi Day - Dec 05, 2010
- Hindus send greetings to Buddhists on Vesakha - Apr 28, 2011
- Buddhists welcome Hindu statesman Zed to Bodhi Day commemoration in Nevada - Dec 06, 2010
- Hindus greet Buddhists on Vesakha - May 24, 2010
- Hindus greet Buddhists on Vesakha - Apr 27, 2011
- Prestigious Duke University sets aside "Prayer Space" for Hindus & Buddhists - Jan 19, 2011
- Hindus greet Jains on Mahavir Jayanti - Apr 15, 2011
- Hindus send greetings to Christians on Easter - Apr 20, 2011
- Hindus urged on Ramnavmi to seek ideal characteristics exhibited by Lord Ram - Apr 06, 2011
- Zed urges Hindus worldwide to take vow of charity on Akshay Tritiya - Apr 28, 2011
- Hindus greet Christians on Advent - Nov 23, 2010
- Hindus send greetings to Christians on Lent - Feb 26, 2011
- American museums offering online Hinduism resources - Nov 13, 2010
- Catholic-Hindu-Muslim-Protestant-Buddhist-Jewish leaders connect in dialogue in Nevada - Jan 09, 2011
Tags: bucha, buddhist communities, buddhist teachings, buddhists, gautama buddha, hindu community, hindu statesman, hindus, magha puja day, mutual enrichment, nevada usa, peaceful world, rajan zed, siddhartha, siddhartha gautama, siddhartha gautama buddha, universal society, us feb, usa today, wishing peace