Hindus express condolences on Daya Mata’s deathDecember 6th, 2010 - 12:04 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada (US), Dec 6 (ANI): Hindus have expressed condolences on the passing away of Sri Daya Mata, president and sanghamata of worldwide Self-Realization Fellowship (SRF) headquartered in Los Angeles (USA).
Distinguished Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, said that it was with a great sense of loss that we bid good-bye to Daya Mata, who was an inspiration and full of divine love who touched many lives on the spiritual journey. She nobly fulfilled her spiritual responsibilities with phenomenal spiritual strength and was spiritual mother to many.
Harmony of religions was very dear to her and her selfless service was exemplary, Rajan Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, added.
An ex-Mormon, Daya Mata (Mother of Compassion), born Faye Wright (1914 in Salt Lake City, USA), held this position of spiritual and administrative head of SRF for 55 years. Popular American singer Elvis Presley met her in the 1960s and was said to be her student. Public Memorial Service for her will be held on December 12 in Pasadena (California, USA).
SRF is a worldwide religious organization founded in 1920 by Paramahansa Yogananda, who is known for acclaimed spiritual classic “Autobiography of a Yogi” (1946) which has been translated into over two dozen languages. With Mrinalini Mata as the Vice President, it reportedly has about 600 temples, retreats, ashrams, and meditation centers worldwide and has presence in about 175 countries and lays stress on Kriya Yoga. Its sister organization Yogoda Satsanga Society (YSS) of India, founded in 1917 at Dakshineswar near Kolkata, reportedly runs over 100 centers, retreats, and ashrams in India and neighboring countries besides 21 educational institutions and some charitable facilities.
Aims/ideals of SRF include: to disseminate among the nations a knowledge of definite scientific techniques for attaining direct personal experience of God, to reveal the complete harmony and basic oneness of original Christianity as taught by Jesus Christ and original Yoga as taught by Bhagavan Krishna, to point out the one divine highway to which all paths of true religious beliefs eventually lead, to unite science and religion through realization of the unity of their underlying principles, etc. (ANI)
- Elvis Presley's guru dies - Dec 06, 2010
- Hindus congratulate Mrinalini Mata on being elected Self-Realization Fellowship President - Jan 14, 2011
- Spiritual leader Sri Daya Mata dies in US - Dec 02, 2010
- Spiritual leader Sri Daya Mata dies in US (Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
- Yoga retreats becoming popular world over - Feb 27, 2011
- Hindu Heritage & Divine Centre planned in Canada - Feb 28, 2011
- Hindus welcome reports of Jolie-Pitt undergoing ancient Vedic wedding ceremony - Dec 13, 2010
- Rajan Zed urges Hindus to be 'role models' - Sep 05, 2010
- There is "Jewish Yoga" in America - Jan 31, 2011
- Hinduism specialists discuss relevance of Bhagavad-Gita - Aug 05, 2010
- Yoga has "avatars" in America - Jan 10, 2011
- Hindus suggest Bethenny Frankel to go beyond 'yoga for hotter sex' & explore yoga's spiritual side - Jul 09, 2010
- Lady Gaga spent time at a Cleveland yoga studio before her sold-out performance - Jul 25, 2010
- Hindus warmly welcome Julia Roberts to Hinduism - Aug 05, 2010
- Anglican-Hindu dialogue being hosted by Archbishop of Canterbury in Bangalore - Oct 13, 2010
Tags: administrative head, ashrams in india, autobiography of a yogi, classic autobiography, elvis presley, hindu statesman, meditation centers, organization founded in 1920, paramahansa yogananda, rajan zed, self realization fellowship, selfless service, sister organization, spiritual journey, spiritual mother, spiritual responsibilities, sri daya mata, universal society, usa today, yss