Hindus denounce Romania proposal of renaming “Roma” as “Gypsy”February 3rd, 2011 - 5:33 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada(US), Feb 3 (ANI): Hindus strongly object to reported Romania proposal of officially changing the term “Roma”, currently used for its largest minority group, to “Gypsy”.
Notable Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, said that this proposal appeared simply as an attempt to belittle the already most stigmatized community in Romania and Europe.
Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, pointed out that “Gypsy” was seen as disparaging and insulting by Roma communities. Before making such a change, Romania should consult Romanian Roma communities and European Roma organizations.
Rajan Zed further said that Roma maltreatment in Europe was like an undeclared apartheid. Roma reportedly regularly faced social exclusion, racism, substandard education, hostility, joblessness, rampant illness, inadequate housing, lower life expectancy, unrest, living on desperate margins, stereotypes, mistrust, rights violations, discrimination, marginalization, appalling living conditions, prejudice, human rights abuse, etc.
According to reports, two Romania parliamentary committees have voted to officially change the ethnic group’s name from “Roma” to “Gypsy”. Their population in Romania is estimated at between 1.8 and 2.5 million, reports suggest. (ANI)
- Hindus and Jews critical of Romania proposal of renaming "Roma" as "Tsigan" - Dec 14, 2010
- Hindus want Romania President to apologize for 'racist' Roma remarks - Nov 06, 2010
- Hindus decry derogatory remarks against Roma in Hungarian Parliament - Feb 18, 2011
- Hindus ask for compensation for maltreated Roma in France & Italy - Sep 11, 2010
- Hindus and Jews want resignation of Romania minister found guilty of Roma discriminatory remarks - Dec 01, 2010
- Hindus laud European Parliament for "binding standards" to integrate Roma - Mar 10, 2011
- Hindus critical of Romanian President's remarks about Roma - Jul 25, 2010
- Hindus tell Europe to find another "scapegoat" instead of Roma - Sep 02, 2010
- Hindus praise Vatican for opposing Roma crackdown in France - Aug 24, 2010
- Hindus and Jews seek Romanian Church Patriarch's help to end Roma apartheid - Dec 28, 2010
- Miley Cyrus asked to raise Gypsy apartheid issue on her "Gypsy Heart" tour - Apr 24, 2011
- Hindus ask Europe's politicians to have courage to end Roma apartheid - Sep 06, 2010
- Hindus tell Europe's politicians to have guts to end Roma apartheid - Sep 03, 2010
- Hindus condemn dismantling of Gypsy camp in Rome - Apr 24, 2011
- Hindus ask Berlusconi, Pope visit Roma family whose 4 kids were burnt alive - Feb 08, 2011
Tags: apartheid, ethnic group, gypsy, hindu statesman, hinduism, hindus, human rights abuse, joblessness, maltreatment, minority group, mistrust, nevada usa, parliamentary committees, roma communities, roma organizations, social exclusion, universal society, us feb, usa today, zed