Hindus blame European Union for allowing continuous maltreatment of Roma in FranceAugust 19th, 2010 - 6:08 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada (US), Aug 19 (ANI): Hindus have blamed European Union (EU) and its various institutions for allowing French President Nicolas Sarkozy to continue with his reported maltreatment of Roma (Gypsy) communities, which smelled of xenophobia, racism, and intolerance.
According to reports, after dismantling 51 Roma settlements and making families homeless, France is starting Roma deportations from Thursday. Sarkozy has announced to dismantle 300 Roma camps.
Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, said that it was really shocking to witness EU practically looking the other way when France and various other European countries were expelling the helpless Roma. It was simply inhuman, and what was even more depressing that it was happening in full view of EU and its high sounding institutions. Sadly, even the religious elite of Europe was reportedly silent on this unjust crackdown of voiceless Roma.
Was unleashing repression on downtrodden Roma, instead of social inclusion and rehabilitation, the goal of high-profile “Decade of Roma Inclusion 2005-2015″, Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, asked. Politicians of Europe should not be allowed to criminalize the entire ethnic groups just to boost their public ratings, he added.
Rajan Zed urged Sarkozy to show some maturity as tearing down Roma settlements and deporting them would neither solve the problems of France and nor help integrate Roma. How much impact few thousand Roma could have on crime in the over 62 million population of France, he asked.
Besides France, there were also reports of Roma deportations (or plans to deport) from Denmark, Germany, Sweden, Belgium, United Kingdom, etc.; despite their being Europeans. It was even more disgusting to know that tens of thousands of European Roma were still reportedly stateless, thus denying them even basic human rights, Zed argued. (ANI)
- Hindus and Jews ask EU & UN to halt France's racism engulfed Roma maltreatment - Aug 14, 2010
- Hindus express shock at demolition of Roma settlement in France - Aug 08, 2010
- Hindus shocked at detaining children & bulldozing their toys during Roma crackdown in France - Aug 25, 2010
- Hindus Shocked At Roma Crackdown In France - Aug 26, 2010
- Hindus portray France as an "embarrassment for Europe" in view of Roma maltreatment - Sep 16, 2010
- Hindus ask Sarkozy to resign over Roma fiasco - Sep 17, 2010
- Hindus want urgent EU probe into allegations of secret Roma lists in France - Oct 11, 2010
- Hindus praise Vatican for opposing Roma crackdown in France - Aug 24, 2010
- Hindus ask for compensation for maltreated Roma in France & Italy - Sep 11, 2010
- Hindus ask European Commission to take France to Court over Roma "witch hunt" - Sep 10, 2010
- Hindus want European Union to defend Roma - Sep 13, 2010
- Hindus and Jews laud European Parliament for strong message against France Roma expulsions - Sep 08, 2010
- Hindus & Jews want sanctions against France on Roma maltreatment - Aug 27, 2010
- Hindus decry derogatory remarks against Roma in Hungarian Parliament - Feb 18, 2011
- Hindus and Jews Want Sanctions Against France - Aug 27, 2010
Tags: crackdown, deportations, european countries, europeans, french president nicolas, gypsy, hindu statesman, hinduism, hindus, maltreatment, nevada usa, nicolas sarkozy, population of france, rajan zed, religious elite, repression, social inclusion, universal society, usa today, xenophobia