Hindus back Pope’s dictum that ‘world needs God’January 8th, 2011 - 2:43 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada (US), Jan 8 (ANI): Hindus agree with Pope Benedict’s assertion that ‘The world needs God’.
In a statement published on Holy See website, His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI said: The world needs God. It needs universal, shared ethical and spiritual values, and religion can offer a precious contribution to their pursuit, for the building of a just and peaceful social order at the national and international levels.
Well known Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, also stressed the need to “seek refuge in God”. He suggested that after freeing yourself from worldly bondages and distractions, spend at least part of your day by absorbing yourself in God, meditating on him, realizing him, seeking illumination and blissful union with him, discovering him, worshipping him, dedicating yourself to him, etc.
Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, further said that ancient Hindu scriptures had described God as eternal reality, all-knowing, omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, source of all power, supreme lord, master of the universe, eternal one, supreme guardian, supreme architect, who presides over all, supreme creator and destroyer, without beginning or end, pure consciousness, ruler of all, etc.
Zed mentioned: Shvetashvatara Upanishad says-World is the river of God, flowing from him and flowing back to him; while Lord Krishna indicates in Bhagavad-Gita (Song of the Lord)-I am the beginning, the middle, and the end of creation.
But Rajan Zed suggested Pope not to be harsh on atheists like his speech in Edinburgh (United Kingdom) in the recent past, where he appeared to associate atheism with the Nazis. Zed argued that as Catholics and Hindus and others had freedom of their belief systems and were respected for their respective choices, and so should be the atheists. A religious leader of Pope’s stature should have been more inclusive.
Zed pointed out that although Pope frequently talked about right to religious freedom, cooperation of the human family, truly universal human community, etc., but in this Edinburgh speech, he apparently condemned the beliefs of a considerable chunk of world population called atheists. Who were we as human beings to judge publicly that other humans’ beliefs different than us were wrong?
Rajan Zed stressed that Pope should get rid of his obsession against atheism and show some maturity and inclusiveness. Frankly, it was the fault of us religious leaders (which included Pope also) and organizations that atheism was growing in the world. We (including Pope) needed to do a better job to make religion more vibrant, attractive and engaging to keep people in God’s fold. (ANI)
- Hindu statesman Zed urges Hindus to "seek refuge in God" during summer vacation - Jul 21, 2010
- Hindus denounce Pope for being offensive to atheists - Sep 17, 2010
- Hindus laud Vatican for effort in uniting believers & non-believers - Jan 31, 2011
- Pope says "God sees in everyone a soul to save", but Hindus find "God in all creatures" - Nov 02, 2010
- Pope says "Europe must open itself to God" - Nov 10, 2010
- Hindus criticize Pope for being harsh on atheists - Jul 13, 2009
- Hindus welcome Pope's message of "One human family" & ask him to embrace Roma cause - Oct 27, 2010
- Pope finds Hinduism's "sense of the sacred, sacrifice and fasting" in agreement with Catholicism - Nov 13, 2010
- Hindus tell Europe to be more accepting of 'outsiders' - Feb 14, 2011
- Pope lumps "secularism" with "religious fundamentalism" - Dec 20, 2010
- Zed blames religious leaders for what Pope warns as "people of God turning non-believers" - Apr 22, 2011
- Hindu statesman greets Pope on 84th birthday - Apr 16, 2011
- Hindus call Pope's Roma gesture "a step in the right direction" - Feb 14, 2011
- Hindus disappointed with Pope-Sarkozy meet - Oct 10, 2010
- Hindus laud Pope for lunching with poor & seek a unified action on poverty eradication - Dec 27, 2010
Tags: ancient hindu, belief systems, benedict xvi, bondages, eternal one, eternal reality, hindu scriptures, hindu statesman, holiness pope, lord krishna, master of the universe, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, precious contribution, river of god, supreme architect, supreme creator, supreme lord, universal society, usa today