Hindus ask for speedy solution to global food prices hikeJanuary 7th, 2011 - 5:17 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada (US), Jan 07 (ANI): Hindus have expressed serious concerns at the recent rise in global food prices.
Well known Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, said that one sixth of all humanity was already suffering from hunger and these price hikes would further deteriorate the situation.
Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, further said that United Nations (UN) and other world organizations should urgently come up with solutions regarding this serious issue of hikes in the prices of food staples, which some fear would continue to rise given the global conditions.
According to reports, food prices have risen considerably around the world, crossing the previous Food Price Index record of 2008. Rise has been due to soaring prices of cereal, oil and sugar. Unpredictable weather could push these still higher. Price of wheat has also gone up and so is corn. Australian floods, Argentinean drought, Russian wildfires, etc., have also contributed to the problem. Many developing countries, where food takes up major portion of family budgets, would be most affected.
Reports suggest that food prices, on an average, have risen by over 80 percent in the last ten years; and speedy growth of world population, environmental issues, higher biofuels demand, etc., are also the causes. Poor suffer the most with these price hikes.
Rajan Zed also demanded that UN should declare access to adequate food a fundamental human right. It was immoral and ungodly for the world to watch one sixth of all humanity suffering from hunger day after day and not come up with a permanent solution.
Zed pointed out that it was unfortunate that instead of decreasing, numbers of hungry were increasing, and the number of malnourished was roughly now over one billion. Besides governments and private sector, religions should also join hands on this issue, which was a social and moral blight on all of us.
World needed to dramatically change its lifestyle and thinking and leaving greed aside, it should take care of its vulnerable populations, Rajan Zed added. (ANI)
- Hindus ask for urgent solution to rising world food prices - Apr 15, 2011
- Hindus & Jews want urgent solution to hike in global food prices - Sep 07, 2010
- Hindus want emergent solution to rising world food prices - Feb 04, 2011
- Right to food be declared as a fundamental human right - Oct 20, 2009
- Hindus critical of Hungary for failure to protect its Roma populace - Apr 22, 2011
- Hindus welcome Pope's message of "One human family" & ask him to embrace Roma cause - Oct 27, 2010
- India home to world's 42pc underweight children - Oct 14, 2010
- Hindus ask urgent steps to eliminate global hunger - Sep 25, 2010
- Hindus disappointed with Pope-Sarkozy meet - Oct 10, 2010
- Hindus call Pope's Roma gesture "a step in the right direction" - Feb 14, 2011
- Hindus and Jews seek Romanian Church Patriarch's help to end Roma apartheid - Dec 28, 2010
- Hindus tell Europe's politicians to have guts to end Roma apartheid - Sep 03, 2010
- Hindus ask Europe's politicians to have courage to end Roma apartheid - Sep 06, 2010
- Hindus laud European Commission for showing guts in warning France over Roma issue - Oct 01, 2010
- Zed asks India to make healthcare more accessible - Dec 13, 2010
Tags: adequate food, family budgets, food price index, food prices, food staples, fundamental human right, global conditions, global food, hindu statesman, nevada usa, permanent solution, price hikes, serious concerns, speedy growth, speedy solution, universal society, unpredictable weather, usa today, world organizations, world population