Hindus ask for Britain’s apology for millions of starvation deaths of 1943 famineSeptember 10th, 2010 - 6:57 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada (US), Sept 10 (ANI): Hindus want Britain to tender a formal apology to India and relatives of affected families for reportedly about three million starvation deaths in the great famine of 1943.
Noted Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, said that if allegations mentioned in Madhusree Mukerjee’s recent book “Churchill’s secret war: the British empire and the ravaging of India during World War II” (Basic Books, New York) were true, Britain should tender a formal apology for what was described as a preventable catastrophe caused by intentional negligence of Britain.
This book by Mukerjee, nuclear physicist with doctorate from University of Chicago and former editor of Scientific American who lives in Germany, reportedly alleges that millions of people of Bengal were left to starve ignoring repeated pleas to Britain for emergency food aid. Some other countries offered to help but were prevented.
Then British Prime Minister Winston Churchill’s racism, prejudice and callousness were blamed for this easily stoppable famine. Britain apparently did not consider Indian lives worth saving and it was said to be a deliberate decision to let Indians starve.
During this famine, babies were said to be abandoned like stray cats, children picked undigested grain from faeces, and sheer number of corpses created disposal problem.
Rajan Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, argued that this was simply inhuman, immoral and ungodly; a disaster brought by British policy towards India at that time. (ANI)
- Churchill's policies led to Bengal famine: Writer - Dec 20, 2010
- Hindus want European Union to defend Roma - Sep 13, 2010
- Hindus laud European Commission for showing guts in warning France over Roma issue - Oct 01, 2010
- Hindus & Jews want urgent solution to hike in global food prices - Sep 07, 2010
- Hindus ask for urgent solution to rising world food prices - Apr 15, 2011
- Hindus ask for speedy solution to global food prices hike - Jan 07, 2011
- Hindus want emergent solution to rising world food prices - Feb 04, 2011
- Hindus tell Europe's politicians to have guts to end Roma apartheid - Sep 03, 2010
- Hindus ask Europe's politicians to have courage to end Roma apartheid - Sep 06, 2010
- Hindus and Jews laud Sweden for "white book" on Roma maltreatment and ask Europe to follow - Feb 01, 2011
- Hindus ask world to wake up to continual lead poisoning of Roma in Kosovo - Jul 18, 2010
- Hindus decry racist jibes at British Roma singer Cher Lloyd - Feb 17, 2011
- Former PM Winston Churchill makes it to UK pop charts - Oct 04, 2010
- Brand willing to shave his head to play Churchill - Apr 22, 2011
- Churchill 'ordered assassination of Mussolini to protect secret letters' - Sep 03, 2010
Tags: british empire, british prime minister, callousness, deliberate decision, emergency food aid, faeces, formal apology, great famine, hindu statesman, madhusree mukerjee, nuclear physicist, rajan zed, scientific american, secret war, starvation deaths, stray cats, universal society, usa today, winston churchill, world war ii