Hindus and Jews critical of Romania proposal of renaming “Roma” as “Tsigan”December 14th, 2010 - 5:57 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada (US), Dec 14 (ANI): Hindus and Jews are highly critical of Romania proposal of changing the term “Roma”, currently used for its largest minority group, to “Tsigan”.
Hindu statesman Rajan Zed and Rabbi Jonathan B. Freirich, prominent Jewish leader in Nevada and California in USA; in a statement in Nevada today, said that this proposal appeared simply as an attempt to belittle the already most stigmatized community in Romania and Europe.
Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, and Rabbi Freirich pointed out that “Tsigan” was seen as disparaging and insulting by Roma communities. Before making such a change, Romania should consult Romanian Roma communities and European Roma organizations.
Meanwhile, leaders of Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe (U.S. Helsinki Commission) have also expressed concern on this issue. In a release in Washington DC (USA) on December 12, its Co-Chairman Alcee L. Hastings (D-FL) said, “The change of terms being considered seems to be really about stoking prejudice against Romania’s largest and most persecuted minority.”
Rajan Zed and Rabbi Jonathan Freirich further said that Roma maltreatment in Europe was like an undeclared apartheid. Roma reportedly regularly faced social exclusion, racism, substandard education, hostility, joblessness, rampant illness, inadequate housing, lower life expectancy, unrest, living on desperate margins, stereotypes, mistrust, rights violations, discrimination, marginalization, appalling living conditions, prejudice, human rights abuse, etc. (ANI)
- Hindus denounce Romania proposal of renaming "Roma" as "Gypsy" - Feb 03, 2011
- Hindus & Jews critical of "Gypsy criminals" election advertisement in Hungary - Oct 02, 2010
- Hindus and Jews want resignation of Romania minister found guilty of Roma discriminatory remarks - Dec 01, 2010
- Hindus & Jews term Roma deportations from European countries as "blatant apartheid" - Aug 01, 2010
- Hindus critical of Romanian President's remarks about Roma - Jul 25, 2010
- Hindus & Jews shocked at France's continuing Roma expulsion despite promise otherwise - Nov 09, 2010
- Hindus & Jews concerned at dismantling plan of Roma settlements in Rome - Sep 04, 2010
- Hindus and Jews seek Romanian Church Patriarch's help to end Roma apartheid - Dec 28, 2010
- Stop treating Roma as pariahs: Hindus & Jews tell Europe - Jan 03, 2011
- Hindus & Jews ask Pope to tell Sarkozy that Roma maltreatment is not acceptable - Sep 21, 2010
- Hindus & Jews urge Pope to halt Roma demolitions in Italy - Sep 08, 2010
- Hindus want Romania President to apologize for 'racist' Roma remarks - Nov 06, 2010
- Hindus & Jews concerned at Pope's silence on Roma deportations in Europe - Aug 04, 2010
- Hindus and Jews laud European Parliament for strong message against France Roma expulsions - Sep 08, 2010
- Hindus & Jews want sanctions against France on Roma maltreatment - Aug 27, 2010
Tags: alcee l hastings, co chairman, freirich, helsinki commission, hindu statesman, hinduism, hindus, human rights abuse, jewish leader, joblessness, maltreatment, minority group, mistrust, rabbi, rajan zed, roma communities, roma organizations, social exclusion, universal society, washington dc usa