Hindu temple in Pakistan reopens after 10 yearsOctober 31st, 2011 - 1:18 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 31 (IANS) A historic Hindu temple has reopened after 10 years in Pakistan’s Peshawar city after a woman devotee fought a long legal battle.
The Hindu community celebrated Diwali in the temple at Gor Khutthri area. The temple was reopened for worship after 10 years, reported Dawn Monday.
Kamla Rani, granddaughter of a temple priest, was happy that the temple was reopened for worshippers.
“I am very happy that my mother, though very old, fought legal battle to reopen this temple for Hindu worshippers,” she was quoted as saying.
Her mother Phool Wati had filed an application with the Peshawar High Court to reopen the temple for worship.
Kamla Rani the temple was reopened due to the efforts of the Hindu community.
“You can`t imagine how happy we feel today,” she said on the day Diwali was celebrated.
Peshawar High Court ordered reopening of temple for worship only and the archaeology department has control over it.
- Pakistani Hindu woman moves court over temple - Nov 03, 2010
- Trinidad-Tobago to build one-of-a-kind Lakshmi-Narayan Hindu Temple - Dec 09, 2010
- Pakistani official sacked after polishing shoes in India - Aug 02, 2012
- It's official: Peshawar is the 'Oldest Living City' in South Asia - Jul 05, 2010
- Temple attacked in Australia - Mar 30, 2011
- Nepal's Hindus ready for new battle over Pashupatinath - Jan 29, 2011
- Ayodhya verdict: Okay to Ram temple, land to Muslims too (Roundup) - Sep 30, 2010
- A town that never burns Ravana effigy - Oct 06, 2011
- For TV stars, Diwali means family time! - Oct 22, 2011
- Revolt against British lives on in Santhal Durga Puja (Lead correcting figure in para 3) - Oct 06, 2010
- Obama lights diya to celebrate Diwali at White House - Oct 29, 2011
- Hindus celebrate Maha Shivratri - Mar 02, 2011
- Hindus welcome "Happy Diwali" wish of White House - Nov 05, 2010
- Don't insult us, Pashupatinath priest tells Nepal - Sep 05, 2009
- Hindu community in Pakistan celebrates Diwali - Nov 06, 2010