Hindu scholars ask for ‘kirtan’ award at GrammysApril 29th, 2009 - 10:12 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 29 (IANS) Hindu scholars are calling on Grammy Awards bosses to add a new category for traditional Indian music at the annual awards ceremony.
Officials at the Universal Society of Hinduism are urging Grammy bosses to include “Kirtan” as a field for future awards shows, beginning in 2010, reports contactmusic.com.
“In 2009, there were Grammys awarded in 110 music categories, covering 32 fields, including pop, rock, rap, country, new age, gospel, jazz, folk, world music, Hawaiian, Latin, reggae and blues, and we now think Indian music should be included,” said Hindu scholar Rajan Zed.
“Kirtan is attracting large audiences in USA and Canada, and many other countries of the world, resulting in various new albums and creation of star kirtan artists….There should be Favorite Kirtan Artist of the Year award at the Grammys,” he added.
The “Kirtans” have a meditating effect, he said.
“The powerful healing and transformational energies of these ancient chants in help to calm and focus the mind… It’s a sacred and spiritual experience that takes one to the state of deep meditation.”
- Hindus urge Grammy bosses to include 'Kirtan' category - Apr 29, 2009
- Grammy winner American cellist Darling plans to record Hindu-themed album - Feb 26, 2010
- Hindus laud Vatican for Jewish concert and urge Pope to organize Kirtan recital soon - Nov 12, 2010
- Brandy Norwood's Lord Ganesh tattoo starts fad for Hindu tattoos - Jan 15, 2011
- Hinduism & kirtan specialists discuss chanting as a form of divine worship - Nov 10, 2010
- Adele, Foo Fighters win big at 54th Grammy (Roundup) - Feb 13, 2012
- 53rd Annual Grammy Awards Winners List - Feb 14, 2011
- American university holds unique one-of-a-kind-in-the-world Hindu Baccalaureate Service - Apr 19, 2011
- Buddhists welcome Hindu statesman Zed to Bodhi Day commemoration in Nevada - Dec 06, 2010
- Kirtan and Hinduism specialists exchange views on ecstatic chanting - Jun 16, 2009
- Sanskrit mantras being used for healing in America and the West - Aug 12, 2009
- Beyonce top winner at Grammy's with six awards (Roundup) - Feb 01, 2010
- Hindus greet Sikhs on Guru Gobind Singh birthday - Jan 01, 2011
- World famous Glastonbury Festival to have Krishna Tent - Feb 13, 2011
- Hindus laud Sheryl Crow for promoting school kids yoga - Jul 17, 2010
Tags: ancient chants, awards ceremony, countries of the world, deep meditation, gospel jazz, grammy awards, grammys, hindu scholars, jazz folk, kirtans, latin reggae, music categories, new albums, new category, rajan zed, rock rap, spiritual experience, traditional indian music, transformational energies, universal society