‘Hindraf leader Uthayakumar not to be arrested’May 19th, 2009 - 2:00 pm ICT by ANI
Kuala Lumpur, May 19 (ANI): Malaysia’s banned Hindu Rights Action Force leader P. Uthayakumar will not be apprehended as no arrest order have been issued against him, police have said.
Inspector-General of Police Musa Hassan said Uthayakumar was only required to be present at the Kamunting detention centre on Monday to face the advisory panel that meets every six months.
“To say we are going to arrest him is very misleading and it only creates unnecessary problems or tension among the people, especially his supporters, The Star quoted, him, as saying.
According to the sources, the advisory panel, which comes under Prime Minister’s Department, had sent a letter to the Kamunting detention centre requesting Uthayakumar to be present today.
Uthayakumar was freed before the panel met.
Last week, Malaysian Home Minister Hishammuddin Hussein had urged Uthayakumar to meet the panel with his lawyers. Hussein rejected claims that the later’s movements had been restricted.
“His lawyers can write to me if they feel his movements are being restricted,” he said. (ANI)
- Court dismisses Indians' plea against Malaysian PM - Mar 25, 2011
- Malaysian Indian loses court appeal over LTTE link charge - Mar 10, 2011
- Malaysian Indian challenges government order on party registration - Apr 07, 2011
- Hindraf leaders ask Malaysian Govt. to free them unconditionally - May 20, 2009
- Malaysia frees three Hindraf leaders detained under ISA - May 10, 2009
- HINDRAF leader sues Malaysian Govt for 100-million-ringgit over terrorist tab - Sep 12, 2009
- Serial killings in Malaysia - Sep 15, 2010
- Three churches attacked in Malaysia over word `Allah' in journal - Jan 08, 2010
- Malaysian court rejects Hindraf detainee's appeal - Apr 21, 2009
- Malaysian court rejects HINDRAF leader's plea to drop sedition charge - May 01, 2009
- Hindraf leader files fourth habeas corpus application in Malaysian HC - Mar 28, 2009
- Malaysia may be a transit point for weapons of mass destruction: Hishammuddin - Mar 22, 2011
- Over 1,600 held in Malaysia for protests - Jul 10, 2011
- Malaysian Home Ministry unit to vet net postings soon - Sep 03, 2010
- My wife not interested in watching sex video: Anwar Ibrahim - Mar 27, 2011