Himachal Pradesh to give one sapling to each personJune 27th, 2008 - 11:41 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, June 27 (IANS) In a bid to involve the common man in improving the green cover in the state, the Himachal Pradesh cabinet Friday announced that one sapling would be given for planting to each person in the state free of cost. The area under dense forest cover continues to decline in the hill state even though the overall green cover has increased by a margin of 10 sq km.
The latest report of the Forest Survey of India has revealed that dense forest (having a tree-cover in excess of 40 percent) has come down by a significant 48 sq km as compared to the previous report in 2003.
The cabinet, chaired by Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, also announced tax cuts for “home stay units” to promote tourism in the state.
No luxury, sales tax or value-added tax would be charged from home stay units having minimum three rooms, and electricity and water charges would be at domestic rates.
More than 8.8 million tourists, including 339,000 foreigners, visited the state in 2007.
Shimla town emerged as a favourite destination among the domestic tourists with over 2 million visited last year.
- Himachal to have climate change centre - Dec 31, 2011
- Himachal average temperature rises by over 5 degrees - Jun 05, 2012
- Ex-servicemen on mission to green Himachal hills - Aug 06, 2010
- Himachal to construct two mega tunnels - Jul 27, 2012
- Himachal battling lantana to save native plants - Mar 12, 2011
- $200 mn World Bank loan to Himachal for green development - Jul 27, 2012
- Army veterans launch ecological operation in Kullu - Jul 27, 2010
- Dhumal administers green pledge to public - Jun 05, 2012
- Carbon credits: Himachal inks pact with World Bank - May 22, 2011
- Climate change hitting forests, says Dhumal - Apr 01, 2011
- Fires ravage 20,000 hectares of Himachal forests in two months (With Images) - Jun 28, 2012
- Himachal to set up climate study centre - Mar 09, 2011
- Former Himachal BJP chief to become minister - Feb 22, 2012
- Delhi to increase its green cover: Dikshit - Mar 21, 2011
- Himachal raises special police force to tackle timber mafia - May 24, 2009
Tags: chief minister, common man, dense forest, domestic tourists, electricity, foreigners, forest cover, forest survey, India, june 27, luxury sales tax, sales tax, sapling, tax cuts, tourism, value added tax, water charges