Hillary reaction to Bill-Monica affair in the Oval Office: `He couldn’t be that insane’November 14th, 2007 - 2:56 am ICT by admin
The statement itself, according to Smith, is a pointer to Hillary’s thought process, a process that was less motivated by emotion and more by ambition and of having a place in history by becoming America’s first female president.
According to the New York Post, Bedell told WOR Radio’s Steve Malzberg that “If [Hillary] heard that he had sort of gone out and had a fling on the road, she could have believed that in a heartbeat. Look, she was not about to divorce him for doing something that he had been doing for their whole married life, the only difference being the magnitude.”
“But it was the fact that it was in the Oval Office, that it lasted for . . . 18 months, which is an astonishing length of time,” she added.
Smith said that people “have amnesia about the Clinton years because of 9/11 and the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.”
Another reason Hillary stayed in the marriage was because she was already thinking about her own future in politics.
“It was far more to her advantage to stay with Bill Clinton because she was already thinking about her own political ambitions,” Smith said on the show.
“One of her top advisers told me that one of the reasons, if not the reason, that she fought the impeachment so hard and was such a chief strategist during that whole period is that she saw her own political aspirations go down the drain. She had been thinking about the presidency for a long time.”
Smith said she learned about Hillary’s strategy for dealing with her husband’s cheating from a friend of the senator:
“One of her friends said that whenever he misbehaved, her first reaction was not ‘You’ve been a bad boy,’ but, ‘How can we get out of this?’ ” (ANI)
- Clinton tops Obama and others in administration: Gallup - Apr 03, 2011
- Clinton ready to step off `high wire' of politics (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Monica Lewinsky 'still in love with Bill Clinton' - Mar 11, 2011
- Bill Clinton documentary to be aired on PBS - Feb 20, 2012
- Monica Lewinsky is back, says Bill Clinton lied under oath - Dec 18, 2009
- Monica Lewinsky 'had her eyes on Clinton's aide before him' - Aug 17, 2010
- Hillary Clinton's mother dies at 92 - Nov 01, 2011
- Middle East peace: Clinton facing crucial test - Sep 05, 2010
- Hillary revealed nothing about Osama raid: Bill Clinton - May 14, 2011
- Meet the person behind Clintons' jewellery at Chelsea's wedding - Aug 10, 2010
- PBS to air documentary about Clinton Lewinsky affair - Feb 15, 2012
- Indian American to head US think-tank - Oct 26, 2011
- HBO film reveals Clintons' rocky friendship with Blairs post-sex scandal - May 24, 2010
- Monica Lewinsky scandal: Brown apologizes for mocking Clinton - Sep 14, 2010
- Julianne Moore to play Hillary Clinton in Special Relationship - Mar 23, 2009
Tags: bedell, been a bad boy, bill clinton, chief strategist, down the drain, female president, fling, hillary, intern monica lewinsky, married life, new york post, oval office, political ambitions, political aspirations, sally bedell smith, thought process, time smith, war in iraq, wor radio