Hijacked lifeboat with US captain near Somali shore: ReportApril 12th, 2009 - 6:45 am ICT by IANS
Washington, April 12 (DPA) Somali pirates were reported to have obtained fuel for their hijacked lifeboat and were moving within 35 km of Somalia’s shore late Saturday with the kidnapped US captain of a US-operated cargo ship, ABC news and CNN reported.
Navy officials have said they would not allow the small lifeboat, in which captain Richard Phillips of the Maersk Alabama is being held hostage, to reach the shore, CNN reported.
The development would indicate that the pirates have obtained fuel since Thursday, when the lifeboat stolen from the Alabama was reported to be in a standoff with the USS Bainbridge 500 km off the Somali shore.
In Washington, a Pentagon official told DPA the defence department was not releasing any information about the situation, indicating serious concern about the fate of Phillips.
- Somali pirates foil US captain's escape attempt - Apr 10, 2009
- Alabama ship is in Mombasa; FBI sequesters crew, ship - Apr 12, 2009
- Somali pirates fail to reinforce embattled comrades (Lead) - Apr 12, 2009
- US Navy steps up pressure on Somali pirates (Lead) - Apr 10, 2009
- Somali pirates negotiate with US Navy over hostage - Apr 10, 2009
- Wife of rescued captain awaits his pirate tale - Apr 14, 2009
- Somali pirates rushing to help comrades in face-off with US Navy - Apr 11, 2009
- Snipers kill three pirates, free US ship captain (Lead) - Apr 13, 2009
- Somali pirates demand ransom as US Navy sends more ships - Apr 11, 2009
- Detained Somali pirate to be tried as adult - Apr 22, 2009
- Somali elders in fresh attempt to free US captain - Apr 12, 2009
- US captain kidnapped by pirates freed: Report - Apr 13, 2009
- US Navy reaches ship hijacked by Somali pirates (Lead) - Apr 09, 2009
- U.S. Captain Phillips rescued, pirates reported killed - Apr 13, 2009
- US captain kidnapped by pirates freed by special forces - Apr 13, 2009
Tags: abc news, being held hostage, captain richard, cargo ship, cnn, defence department, dpa, fate, lifeboat, maersk, navy officials, pentagon, pentagon official, richard phillips, somali pirates, somalia, standoff, uss bainbridge