Hezbollah to demand Palestinian prisoners’ release: ReportJune 23rd, 2008 - 4:51 am ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, June 23 (DPA) The Lebanese Shia movement Hezbollah will demand the release of Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails in exchange for two Israeli soldiers, reports said Sunday. It had been believed that a deal, in which Israel would release Lebanese prisoners in return for its soldiers, was imminent and that Hezbollah had apparently dropped the Palestinians from the deal.
Israel has said it will not release Palestinians as part of the deal with the Lebanese group.
The new demand was relayed to Israel via the German negotiators who go between the Lebanese militant group and the Israeli government, local media reported.
The two Israeli soldiers were captured in July 2006 in a crossborder raid that sparked a 33-day war between Israel and Lebanon.
Recently, Lebanon has rejected calls by Israel to bilaterally negotiate a peace deal, saying it preferred the pan-Arab peace initiative, which calls for Israel to leave all land occupied in the 1967 Middle East War and for a solution to the Palestinian refugee problem in return for normalization with the Jewish state.
On Sunday afternoon, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and his security cabinet, including heads of the military and intelligence agencies, convened in Jerusalem, apparently to discuss the new Hezbollah demand.
In 2004, Israel traded some 400 Palestinians and more than 20 Lebanese for a kidnapped reservist and the bodies of three soldiers held by Hezbollah.
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- To avoid abduction, Israeli troops to carry tear gas - Nov 24, 2011
- Israel: Palestinian President Abbas set impossible conditions for direct peace talks - Jul 29, 2010
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Israel names Palestinian prisoners to swap for Shalit - Oct 16, 2011
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start Tuesday - Oct 15, 2011
- rael should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Israel should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Israel decides to ease Gaza land blockade (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- At least 10 people killed, more than 100 injured in clashes along Israel's borders - May 15, 2011
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
Tags: ehud olmert, hezbollah, intelligence agencies, israeli jails, israeli prime minister, israeli prime minister ehud olmert, israeli soldiers, lebanese group, lebanese prisoners, middle east war, militant group, palestinian prisoners, palestinian refugee problem, pan arab, peace deal, peace initiative, prime minister ehud, prime minister ehud olmert, security cabinet, three soldiers