Hezbollah movement has 40,000 rockets: IsraelJuly 9th, 2008 - 11:08 pm ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, July 9 (RIA Novosti) The Islamic Hezbollah movement of Lebanon has increased its rocket arsenal threefold since the start of an armed conflict with Israel two years ago, Israel’s state-run radio reported Wednesday. The Hezbollah movement has now 40,000 rockets capable of reaching Israel, Kol Israel radio said citing intelligence sources.
Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert told a cabinet meeting Wednesday that the increase in weapons by Shia militia group was in violation of UN Resolution 1701, which ended the 34-day war in 2006.
The UN resolution called for the disarming of all militias and the prevention of gun-running and smuggling operations in Lebanon.
Over the past few days, Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak has raised the issue with foreign ministers from France, Germany and Italy.
According to Kol Israel, he indicated that Israel would not tolerate violations of peace agreements, which could damage “the fragile balance on the Israeli border”.
- 'Terrorists may get hold of Syrian chemical weapons' - Jun 12, 2012
- Israel on alert for Syrian weapons - Jul 19, 2012
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- Israel should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- rael should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- UN extends peacekeeping mission in Lebanon - Aug 31, 2012
- Iran rejects Israeli accusations over Bulgaria blast - Jul 19, 2012
- Lebanese Army fires at Israeli jets flying over Lebanon - Dec 30, 2009
- UN condemns firing of rockets into Israel - Sep 12, 2009
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Security Council renews mandate of UNIFIL - Aug 31, 2010
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Former Israel PM convicted but escapes fraud charge - Jul 10, 2012
- UN chief calls for disbanding of Hezbollah - Oct 28, 2009
- Israel minister sells luxury apartment after public outcry - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: armed conflict, cabinet meeting, defence minister, ehud barak, ehud olmert, foreign ministers, fragile balance, hezbollah, intelligence sources, israeli border, israeli prime minister, israeli prime minister ehud olmert, kol israel radio, militia group, militias, peace agreements, prime minister ehud, prime minister ehud olmert, ria novosti, un resolution 1701