Hewitt gets started in Sydney with fighting winJanuary 13th, 2009 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Jan 13 (DPA) Women’s seeds stormed through into the quarter-finals as Lleyton Hewitt made a typical fighting debut Tuesday at the Medibank International tennis.The four-time champion, who is playing only his second event since hip surgery in August, had to spend two hours in baking summer heat to overcome Julien Benneteau 5-7, 6-2, 6-4.
The unseeded Australian, trying to lift a ranking which has fallen to 71st, fell behind 1-4 in the first set, which Benneteau won. But Hewitt scrambled back into contention to earn the hard-fought win, through 13 winners and seven aces.
“It was a tough match, I’m happy to get through in the week before the Australian Open,” said the Aussie.
“I lost to him in our only other match. But I’ve had so much success in Sydney and it’s nice to be back. I’m not yet on autopilot with the hip, but the more matches I play the better it will get for Melbourne.”
Women’s seeds led by Serena Williams all rolled in straight sets, with the world number two American defeating Italy’s Sara Errani 6-1, 6-2.
“It was a better match than the first round,” said Williams, who had to save four match points against Australian Samantha Stosur in that match to win. “I’m starting to pick up my game.”
Second seed Dinara Safina led fellow Russian Elena Dementieva into the last eight, beating compatriot Vera Dushevina 6-3, 6-0.
Dementieva, the Olympic champion who has achieved only one semi-final in 13 Australian appearances, stopped Slovak Jarmila Gajdosova 6-2, 6-4.
Poland’s sixth seed Agnieszka Radwanska put out Daniela Hantuchova 6-3, 7-5 while Danish number eight Caroline Wozniacki defeated Briton Melanie South 6-2, 6-0.
- Australian Open: Nishikori eliminates Tsonga, Makarova stuns Serena - Jan 23, 2012
- Sania in mixed doubles third round, women's doubles semis (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Sharapova wins French Open, completes career Grand Slam (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal, Murray power through as rain fails to dampen US Open - Sep 04, 2010
- Australian Open: Sania in quarters of doubles and mixed event - Jan 23, 2012
- Gilles Simon goes down to Xavier Malisse at Wimbledon (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- Serena, Safina sweat before escaping with wins - Jan 12, 2010
- China Open: Wozniacki, Zvonareva move ahead; Stosur eliminated - Oct 04, 2011
- Stosur breaks Australia's heart (Roundup) - Jan 17, 2012
- Stosur, Clijsters sail into round three of Australian Open - Jan 20, 2011
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer moves into third round - Jul 30, 2012
- Djokovic thrashes Roddick at Olympics - Aug 01, 2012
- Williams leads women's seeds on Wimbledon opening day - Jun 22, 2010
Tags: australian open, caroline wozniacki, daniela hantuchova, dinara safina, elena dementieva, hip surgery, jarmila gajdosova, julien benneteau, lleyton hewitt, match points, medibank international tennis, melbourne women, number eight, olympic champion, samantha stosur, sara errani, sixth seed, straight sets, time champion, vera dushevina