Hertha Berlin miss chance to go top in BundesligaFebruary 7th, 2009 - 2:18 pm ICT by IANS
Bielefeld, Feb 7 (DPA) Hertha Berlin missed an opportunity to go to the top of the Bundesliga standings when they were held 1-1 in an away match against Arminia Bielefeld.Former Liverpool striker Andriy Voronin gave the visitors the ideal start in the 12th minute when he ran onto a long free-kick taken deep in the Hertha half by goalkeeper Jaroslav Drobny.
Voronin’s shot from an acute angle took a wicked bounce in front of Bielefeld custodian Dennis Eilhof before hitting the back of the net.
Hertha nearly doubled their lead in the 18th minute after a near carbon-copy of the first goal saw Voronin again sent through by Drobny, only for his lob over Eilhof to bounce against the cross bar.
Bielefeld equalised five minutes from the break when Artur Wichniarek beat Drobney with a header for his 12th goal of the season.
In the second half, Bielefeld dominated proceedings but failed to score from their chances, with Zambian striker Chris Katongo twice failing to beat Drobney from close range.
Hertha coach Lucien Favre said that he was not surprised that Bielefeld had played well.
“We knew that it would be a tough game. Bielefeld have been doing well - last week they won in Werder Bremen - so we certainly did not think that we would walk this game,” he said.
“We have to accept the draw.”
Bielefeld coach Michael Frontzeck said he believed a draw was a fair result.
“They started strongly and had a good chance to go two up after scoring their first goal,” Frontzeck said.
“But we then came back strongly, and I think that at the end of the day, both teams deserved a point from the match, and the fans saw a very good game.”
Poland’s Wichniarek, who has scored all but six of the 18 goals Bielefeld has scored so far this season in the Bundesliga, was disappointed at failing to pull out a win.
“One point is good against a team like Hertha, but I think on the night we really should have won the game, so we lost two points rather than win one,” he said.
The draw keeps Berlin in second place - one point behind surprise leader Hoffenheim, who on Saturday are at bottom-placed Borussia Moenchengladbach - while Bielefeld remain 14th.
- Dortmund close in on Bundesgila title - Apr 15, 2012
- Schalke defeat Berlin for second place of German Bundesliga - Dec 10, 2011
- Hamburg seal late win over Cologne in Bundesliga - Feb 13, 2012
- Monchengladbach draw with Hamburg in Bundesliga - Feb 25, 2012
- Bayern on top with unconvincing victory over Wolfsburg - Jan 29, 2012
- Struggling Arminia Bielefeld draw at Leverkusen - May 09, 2009
- Mainz share points with Hoffenheim in Bundesliga - Feb 18, 2012
- Cologne relegated, Dortmund break Bundesliga record - May 06, 2012
- Leverkusen spend Christmas at the top but Bayern lurk - Dec 20, 2009
- Stuttgart beat Hoffenheim - Mar 17, 2012
- Bayern stage faultless performance to stay on top - Sep 25, 2011
- Bayern drop points, Dortmund extend lead in Bundesliga - Feb 19, 2012
- Bayern lose top position to Dortmund in German Bundesliga - Feb 05, 2012
- Bayern Munich continue their Bundesliga domination - Oct 16, 2011
- Ghana disappointed at semi-final loss in African Cup soccer - Feb 09, 2012
Tags: acute angle, andriy voronin, artur, bielefeld, bundesliga, carbon copy, close range, cross bar, custodian, dpa, favre, free kick, good chance, good game, hertha berlin, jaroslav drobny, lucien, striker, werder bremen, wicked bounce