Heroine mum saves babys life four times in 10 minutesJanuary 27th, 2009 - 5:37 pm ICT by ANI
London, January 27 (ANI): A Brit mother succeeded in saving her 12-week-old son four times in 10 minutes by using life-preserving techniques handed over by an emergency telephone operator.
Cordelia Nolan, who had previously learned emergency resuscitation procedures, gave her little Emrys 30 pumps in the chest for every two breaths, after he stopped breathing at her home.
The 25-year-old mum performed Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), an emergency medical procedure for a victim of cardiac arrest or, sometimes, respiratory arrest, on the baby, who was born 10 weeks premature.
Nolan followed the operators instructions, despite fearing to lose him four times during the 10-minute call.
By the time paramedics arrived, the brave single mum had pumped her son’’s heart back into life.
“His colour drained out and he went blue. Luckily my cousin was there and he dialled 999. I started CPR straight away, as I had been offered training in it because he was premature, the Telegraph quoted her as saying.
“I did not have time to think and just did it. I”m not really a heroine; I just did what any mother would do instinctively, she added.
She continued: “I would bring him back, he would cry a bit and then drain again. I was listening for breath and giving mouth to mouth over the nose and mouth. I would urge any new mother to do the same training.
The advice on the phone was really reassuring, and it would have been vital if I had not had knowledge of CPR.
“It was only when I got the hospital that I reacted, and was physically sick. After his less than relaxed start to life, hopefully his journey can be a bit more chilled out. He is doing really well now - but he owes me one!” (ANI)
- Mum, paramedics rescue toddler from backyard pool - Mar 17, 2011
- Hands-Only CPR Easier And Effective Say American Heart Association - Jul 30, 2010
- Twitter as a lifesaver? - Nov 13, 2011
- American Heart Association spells out new guidelines for CPR - Oct 18, 2010
- CPR without mouth-to-mouth breathing 'better for cardiac arrest victims' - Jul 29, 2010
- Hands-Only CPR A Better Cure To Save Cardiac Patients, Says New Study - Jul 30, 2010
- "Hands-Only" CPR Enough to Save Lives - Jul 30, 2010
- Calm down and go home: Riot victim's father urges rioters - Aug 11, 2011
- Retired astronaut dies in jet ski crash - Jul 02, 2012
- Brave Birmingham father mirrors the real Pakistani: paper - Aug 12, 2011
- Michael Jackson rushed to hospital - heart attack - Jun 26, 2009
- Even 9yr-olds can perform CPR correctly - Jul 31, 2009
- Dead woman breathes again after being placed in the morgue - Sep 28, 2011
- New CPR method increases survival rate by 50pc - Mar 02, 2011
- MJ 'died three times' before he met his final end - Jul 29, 2009
Tags: breaths, cardiac arrest, cardiopulmonary resuscitation cpr, cordelia, cousin, emergency telephone, emrys, heart, heroine, january 27, journey, medical procedure, mouth to mouth, new mother, nolan, paramedics, pumps, respiratory arrest, telegraph, telephone operator