Heroin worth Rs.500 mn recovered in Punjab townApril 8th, 2008 - 9:28 pm ICT by admin
Phagwara (Punjab), April 8 (IANS) In one of the single biggest seizures of drugs in Punjab, police Tuesday recovered over 50 kg of heroin from a former terrorist and his accomplices in this industrial town. The Kapurthala district police arrested three people, including former terrorist Kashmir Singh. The other two arrested are identified as small-time Jalandhar businessmen Paramjit Singh and Vijay Kumar.
The Tata Indica car in which they were carrying the contraband was intercepted by the police near this town, 130 km from Chandigarh, and the seizure effected.
It followed a tip-off from some people arrested in France and Dubai earlier during the investigation of a drug racket.
Kapurthala district police chief Rakesh Aggarwal said the possibility of terror links to this drug network was being investigated.
Investigating officers told IANS that the drug network of these people was spread to Pakistan, Dubai, Britain and some other European countries.
“We are investigating the drugs-terror link in this seizure,” one police official said.
Kashmir Singh, from Gurdaspur district bordering Pakistan, was a close associate of Babbar Khalsa terrorist Baldev Singh. He is facing charges under the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act.
- Police seize 2 kg heroin, 1 arrested - Sep 15, 2010
- Officials shifted in Punjab's Gurdaspur after violence - Mar 31, 2012
- Babbar Khalsa plotting revival, big strike: Delhi Police - Jan 01, 2012
- Curfew continues in Gurdaspur, Badal orders probe - Mar 30, 2012
- Badal government's lone woman minister convicted, jailed (Roundup) - Mar 30, 2012
- Minister jailed for conspiracy in daughter's death (Second Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Rs.200 crore worth drugs seized in Punjab, four held - Jun 02, 2012
- A life lost, tense days as leaders play politics (Punjab Newsletter) - Mar 30, 2012
- One killed in clash over Rajoana, curfew in Gurdaspur (Lead) - Mar 29, 2012
- Babbar Khalsa terrorists attacked, four arrested - Nov 11, 2011
- Two terror suspects held with RDX in Punjab - May 21, 2012
- Punjab VIPs security stepped up after BKI terrorists' arrest - Dec 25, 2011
- Heroin worth Rs.35 crore seized in Punjab - Sep 25, 2009
- Punjab dissolves all improvement trusts - Jul 11, 2012
- Two Babbar Khalsa militants held in Punjab - Jun 13, 2010
Tags: accomplices, aggarwal, babbar khalsa, businessmen, chandigarh, disruptive activities, district police, drug racket, heroin, kashmir, police chief, police official, prevention act, punjab police, rakesh, seizure, small time, tata indica car, vijay kumar, worth rs