Here’s how your pet pooch can help you save your taxes!July 6th, 2010 - 7:12 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, July 6 (ANI): A new Australian Taxation Office (ATO) rule has provided tradesmen with the ability to claim a legitimate tax deduction on food and vet bills of pets used in the work place.
According to accountant Rosemarie Chad, owner of easytax.com.au, dogs could serve as a serious deterrent to would-be thieves eyeing off tradies’ tools.
“I’ve never seen anyone claim the purchase of their dog, but the dog’s food, vet bills and probably any training would be deductible,” the Daily Telegraph quoted her as saying.
An ATO spokesman said pets could be claimed as tax deductions provided one can show that their pet is used in the course of income production - for instance, workhorses, guide dogs, guard dogs and sheep-herding dogs.
Bricklayer Jordan Rockett, 25, of Narrabeen, who spends 30 dollars to 40 dollars a week on food for his two American staffordshire bull terriers, Nala and Indie, as well as about 500 dollars a year on vet bills, was very happy to learn about the new rule.
“I will be mentioning it to the boys, for sure. It’s a great thing to know with tax time coming up. I know people take dogs to work to guard their tools, so it makes sense,” he said. (ANI)
- Recession affecting pets in Britain - Nov 13, 2011
- Dog survives after being stabbed 21 times - Nov 16, 2011
- Missing dog returns after five years - Nov 30, 2011
- Dog walking 'one of UK's fastest-growing job' - Apr 10, 2011
- Women talk to dogs more than their partner - Aug 23, 2011
- British mother, son jailed over dogs' deaths - Feb 24, 2012
- Labrador, Who Had Wolfed A Beehive, Obtains A Bizarre 'Pet Insurance' Prize - Aug 25, 2010
- Five dogs best suited for life in a metro (Feature) - Jul 05, 2010
- Iran may ban dogs from public places - Apr 14, 2011
- Paris Hilton Refuses To Give Permission To Kill Her Rabies Infected Pet! - Nov 26, 2010
- Study: Over half of American pets are fat - Feb 24, 2011
- Pet dogs in Britain to be microchipped - Apr 24, 2011
- Man jailed for beating dog to death - Aug 17, 2012
- The pet dog that started to puke after swallowing a 'family of cats'! - Jun 17, 2010
- Jobless Briton stabs dog to death, faces jail - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: accountant, american staffordshire bull, american staffordshire bull terriers, australian taxation office, bull terriers, daily telegraph, easytax, guard dogs, guide dogs, narrabeen, rockett, sheep herding dogs, spokesman, staffordshire bull terriers, tax deduction, tax deductions, tax time, thieves, tradesmen, vet bills