Help us to disarm Taliban, says PakistanMay 6th, 2009 - 12:28 am ICT by IANS
London, May 5 (IANS) Pakistani Interior Minister Rehman Malik has urged the global community to play its role in stopping the flow of weapons to the Taliban instead of questioning the government’s competency to deal with the problem.
The minister said if the US believes Islamabad is unable to tackle the Taliban problem, then how could Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz chief Nawaz Sharif handle the problem.
His remarks came amid media reports that Washington is increasingly warming up to Nawaz as it feels the present government in Islamabad is unable to deal with the Taliban problem in the country.
Malik was responding to a statement by US General David Patraeus in which he expressed his lack of confidence in the Pakistani government’s ability to deal with the Taliban militants.
Commenting on the ongoing military operation against the Taliban in the country, the minister said the offensives were yielding positive results.
The Taliban are poorly equipped but getting support from foreign elements who are trying to destabilise the country, the Online news agency reported Tuesday quoting the minister as saying.
He added that the Taliban in Pakistan are getting weapons from Afghanistan.
- Rehman Malik submits nomination papers for Senate - Jul 20, 2012
- Nawaz involved in corruption: Rehman Malik - Apr 29, 2012
- Pakistan's interior minister talks peace to Taliban - Nov 07, 2011
- Evidence found regarding Shahbaz Bhatti's assassination - Mar 04, 2011
- Pakistan government indifferent to people, says Nawaz - Sep 16, 2011
- Pakistan to create immigration system along Afghan border - Oct 20, 2011
- Ijaz seeks more time to appear before commission (Second Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Not aware of chief justice's son's case: Rehman Malik (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Will bring Benazir killers to justice: Nawaz Sharif - Dec 11, 2011
- Latif Khosa offers cooperation to PML-N through reconciliation process - Jan 15, 2011
- Pakistan has permanently stopped NATO supply: Minister - Nov 28, 2011
- Pakistan should get over its obsession with India: Daily - Aug 16, 2011
- Demilitarise Siachen, says Nawaz Sharif - Apr 18, 2012
- Nawaz Sharif begins fresh term as party chief - Jul 28, 2011
- Pakistan hails UAE aid - May 04, 2012
Tags: afghanistan, competency, david patraeus, elements, global community, interior minister, lack of confidence, london, military operation, news agency, pakistan muslim league, pakistani government, present government, rehman malik, taliban, weapons