Heavy showers wash Taj, lash AgraAugust 5th, 2008 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Aug 5(IANS) Continuous rain for the past fortnight in and around Agra has brought cheer as well as despair to the citizens and tourists here. The welcome change, of course, is the rain washed Taj Mahal against a lush green backdrop with the waters of the Yamuna flowing in full spate.
“The dry Yamuna presented such a pathetic and deplorable scene that people often would ask us why Shah Jahan chose this site to build such a monument, but right now the river is full and flowing majestically,” said tourist guide Manu.
The showers have also eased the pressure on the water and power supply departments but the Agra Municipal Corporation has come under fire for its failure to keep the city drains clear of debris.
Low-lying areas of the city have remained water-logged for a week. The city’s lifeline MG Road was under water at four different points Tuesday after a spell of heavy showers.
The Shiva fair on the Delhi-Agra highway was affected after a sudden downpour Monday night. The pilgrims were stranded for hours.
Heavy showers in Mathura, Vrindavan and Goverdhan also affected movement of pilgrims.
- Rain brings cheer to Agra farmers - Jul 30, 2012
- Taj sparkles as Yamuna flows full - Aug 22, 2011
- Rainy Sunday in Taj city - Aug 27, 2012
- Hundreds of sadhus march to Delhi for clean Yamuna - Apr 02, 2011
- Yamuna continues to flow above danger mark in Agra - Sep 28, 2010
- Heavy showers hit Taj city - Aug 21, 2012
- Yamuna above danger mark in Agra - Aug 21, 2011
- Rains lash Uttar Pradesh, Yamuna fills up - Aug 06, 2011
- A riot of colours in Vrindavan - Mar 08, 2012
- Agra has first monsoon showers, plunges in darkness - Jul 06, 2012
- Rain ushers in 2012 in Agra - Jan 01, 2012
- Yamuna water rising, flood situation grim in Agra - Sep 24, 2010
- Yamuna clean-up operation begins in Taj city - Apr 20, 2012
- Agra finally gets rains - Jul 26, 2012
- Heavy rains cause traffic snarls, power breakdowns in Agra - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: backdrop, cheer, continuous rain, despair, fortnight, lifeline, manu, mg road, monday night, pilgrims, shah jahan, showers, spate, sudden downpour, supply departments, taj mahal, tourist guide, vrindavan, water and power, yamuna