Heavy security in Trinidad and Tobago ahead of summitApril 17th, 2009 - 1:01 am ICT by IANS
Port of Spain, April 16 (DPA) Unprecedented security arrangements were in place in Trinidad and Tobago Thursday ahead of the arrival of leaders from the region including US President Barack Obama to take part in the Summit of the Americas.
Security measures include restrictions of the circulation of pedestrians in an area that holds the building where the summit is set to take place as well as the hotels and cruise ships that are hosting participants, delegations and journalists.
It is Obama that attracts most security measures, with the US Secret Service acting as advisors. The US president is set to be accompanied by a delegation of some 1,000 people.
According to local media reports, special protection has also been planned for UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.
Forces from other Caribbean nations were acting as reinforcements, due to the scarce international experience of the Trinidadian corps in this type of activity.
Late Wednesday, six Latin Americans belonging to the Puerto Rico-based organisation El Grito de los Excluidos (The Cry of the Excluded) were arrested at the airport at the capital Port of Spain.
They were allegedly trying to enter the country to take part in demonstrations. According to the authorities, the six - from Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela and Puerto Rico - might be deported.
- Spanish couple wins Puerto Rico Salsa Congress - Aug 01, 2011
- Afghanistan win in Caribbean ahead of World T20 - Sep 11, 2012
- Inclement weather forces cancellation of Caribbean T20 Big Swing - Dec 25, 2011
- 'Commonwealth leaders should reconnect with electorate' (With Image) - Jan 10, 2012
- Just imagine if Gandhi had Twitter and internet: T&T; minister - Aug 16, 2012
- Olympics: Latest medals tally - Aug 08, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago PM in India from Thursday - Jan 04, 2012
- Dominican Republic shipwreck toll rises to 16 - Feb 06, 2012
- West Indies' Ramdin sidelined with injury - Mar 12, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago celebrates Holi - Mar 12, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago PM chief guest at Pravasi Bharatiya Divas - Oct 27, 2011
- Trinidad and Tobago, India to celebrate I-Day jointly - Aug 10, 2012
- India looks to Trinidad for oil, signs 5 pacts - Jan 06, 2012
- India to help develop Trinidad as ICT hub - Jan 27, 2012
- Final medal table at 2012 London Olympic Games - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: ban ki moon, barack obama, caribbean nations, colombia venezuela, cruise ships, delegations, heavy security, international experience, latin americans, local media, pedestrians, port of spain, reinforcements, security arrangements, security measures, summit of the americas, trinidad and tobago, un secretary general, unprecedented security, us secret service