Heavy security as train services resume in Assam hillsAugust 1st, 2008 - 6:27 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Aug 1 (IANS) Bullet proof coaches and protective jackets for crewmembers are among the heavy security measures undertaken for train services which have resumed in the militancy-hit hill section of southern Assam that links Tripura and Mizoram. The services resumed Thursday on the Lumding-Badarpur-Silchar section after a gap of two and a half months.
“The trains will run with bullet proof locomotives and the drivers and other crew of the trains will wear bullet proof jackets while a huge contingent of paramilitary troopers, Assam police and Railway Protection Force (RPF) have been deployed,” Samir Goswami, chief public relations officer of Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR), said Friday.
Train services in this section had been suspended May 15 after a spurt in militant activity, badly affecting rail communication in Tripura, Mizoram, parts of Manipur besides the three districts of southern Assam - Cachar, Karimganj and Hailakandi.
Separatists of the Dima Halam Daogah (Jewel faction) killed 12 people, including a train driver, forcing the railway authorities to suspend rail services at that time.
Due to the suspension of railway services, trade and business and transportation of essential commodities had been enormously affected in southern Assam, Tripura, Mizoram and parts of Manipur, an official said.
The Tripura government has asked the NFR to regularise railway services in the region to maintain uninterrupted supply of essential items in parts of Assam and three other northeastern states.
- Train services yet to be restored in northeast - Jun 10, 2012
- Landslides disrupt rail services to Northeast - Jun 04, 2012
- Northeast train services partially resume after two weeks - Jun 14, 2012
- Railway services in northeast partially restored - Jul 25, 2012
- Rail services in northeast restored partially - Oct 07, 2010
- 'Another month to restore train services to northeast' - Jul 02, 2012
- Parts of northeast cut-off as train services suspended - Oct 10, 2011
- Parts of northeast cut-off, train services disrupted - Oct 22, 2011
- Night train services resume in terror-hit section of northeast - Oct 21, 2009
- Disrupted rail services hit supply to northeast - Aug 28, 2009
- 10 bombs found on Assam railway bridge - Nov 09, 2011
- Disrupted rail services hit northeast food supply - Aug 26, 2009
- Northeast road-rail links snapped, situation worsens - Jul 16, 2012
- Bullet proof locomotives, jackets for train drivers in Northeast - Jan 15, 2009
- Passenger trains to run again through restive southern Assam - Jun 23, 2009
Tags: agartala, assam hills, assam police, bullet proof jackets, cachar, heavy security, karimganj, manipur, militant activity, nfr, northeast frontier railway, northeastern states, railway authorities, railway services, rpf, security measures, train driver, train services, tripura government, uninterrupted supply