Heathrow Airport Might Resume Flight Operations On Limited BasisDecember 20th, 2010 - 8:21 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
London, Dec 20, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Air travelers stranded in London’s Heathrow Airport may finally breath a sigh of relief as the airport is likely to resume flight operations for a brief period of time on Monday evening. On Sunday, a number of flights were canceled from Heathrow Airport while the arrival of planes from major cities across the globe were also terminated in the wake of the adverse weather conditions and intermittent snowfall that United Kingdom is facing for the past few days. With the country receiving what is being perceived as the heaviest snowfall accompanied with blizzards in decades, the travel plans of passengers this festive season went completely haywire.
On Monday, Heathrow Airport officials have announced that limited number of flights would be arriving and departing from the airport later today. However, the airport authorities have stated that the passengers should be checking beforehand whether their flights are operating before they make their way to the airport. Nevertheless, it seems unlikely that the scenario would be undergoing a positive transformation in the next few days as United Kingdom is expected to encounter more snow, sleet as well as fog in the upcoming days.
London’s Heathrow Airport which is known to be one of the busiest airport around the globe, remained almost completely paralyzed over the weekend as the incessant snowfall and a drop in the temperatures resulted in accumulation of ice on the tarmac hampering the scheduled flight movement. In the meanwhile, thousands of air travelers had to face a harrowing time as they were left trapped in the airport with their flights getting canceled.
- Heathrow Airport Cancels Fliights As Heavy Snowfall Throwns U.K. Out Of Gear - Dec 19, 2010
- Britain in deep freeze - Feb 06, 2012
- Snow and ice blanket Britain - Feb 05, 2012
- Weather Condition Worsens British Airways' Flight Status - Dec 21, 2010
- London flights cancelled due to snow - Dec 19, 2010
- Kingfisher cancels London-New Delhi flight - Dec 20, 2010
- Airlines warn against travel to snowed-in Britain - Dec 20, 2010
- Minneapolis Airport Closed After Blizzard Onslaught - Dec 12, 2010
- Air India to operate from Heathrow Airport's new terminal - May 23, 2011
- Travel travails continue for snow-hit Europe - Dec 21, 2010
- Heavy Snowfall Forces Temporary Closure Of Gatwick Airport - Dec 03, 2010
- Heavy snowfall in Europe hampers Jaipur tourism - Dec 25, 2010
- Big freeze: Christmas travel plans in chaos - Dec 18, 2010
- Hot air balloon disrupts flights in London - Apr 13, 2012
- Snow disrupts travel across Europe, hits economy (Third Lead) - Dec 21, 2010
Tags: accumulation, adverse weather conditions, air travelers, airport authorities, airport officials, blizzards, busiest airport, festive season, few days, flight operations, fog, heathrow airport, major cities, period of time, planes, ranjan, sigh of relief, snow sleet, snowfall, tarmac